Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard fund transfers
Old 11-30-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Vanguard fund transfers

I'm going to close my BOA accounts and instead start using a local credit union.

But I've got what might be a silly question in regards to how Vanguard sends funds. If I direct Vanguard to send funds from my brokerage account to my credit union checking account, is it considered a wire transfer or a direct deposit?

I ask because the credit unions I've been looking at charge for incoming wire transfers.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 04:31 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

ACH transfer (similar to direct deposit).

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Neither really. Its an ACH transfer usually takes 2 days. Definitely not an incoming wire.
If your credit union requires a direct deposit as a requirement for free checking they sometimes treat regular monthly ACH transfers the same as a direct deposit.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You may want to double check that the transfers will be allowed.

I was helping my DF setup a Capital One 360 Checking account last week and they disallowed setting up a link between Vanguard and Capital One. I looked at their policy and it says they will only link to other checking and savings accounts.

Of course, I regularly send money from Vanguard to Capital One. But this link was setup before when it was ING. Guess I'm grandfathered in.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
You may want to double check that the transfers will be allowed.

I was helping my DF setup a Capital One 360 Checking account last week and they disallowed setting up a link between Vanguard and Capital One. I looked at their policy and it says they will only link to other checking and savings accounts.

Of course, I regularly send money from Vanguard to Capital One. But this link was setup before when it was ING. Guess I'm grandfathered in.
I'm a little confused by this. Who disallowed the link, Capital One or Vanguard? I think you can set multiple links up in Vanguard to send to your various bank accounts.

I always initiate money movements on the Vanguard side. Banks have such crappy little rules. I went through the process to set up a link between my local FL Community Bank and BB&T, because I needed to transfer $100K from BB&T. When I finally got it all set up I found out you can only transfer $2K at a time, and $5K/month. What a waste of time. I ended up writing a BB&T check and depositing it at FCB. A 5 day hold and it was all finished. I'm hoping the banks move into the late 20th century soon.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:03 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Banks have such crappy little rules.
Too true.

One thing I've generally found to be true is that it's far easier to work with the receiving bank than the sending bank. They have more of an incentive to ensure a quick, smooth transfer.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm a little confused by this. Who disallowed the link, Capital One or Vanguard? I think you can set multiple links up in Vanguard to send to your various bank accounts.
He was setting it up from Vanguard. The usual "we'll make two transfers of less than a dollar" dance ensued. All seemed fine, then he got a message from Vanguard:

Quote:
We've removed the bank that you recently added to your Vanguard account(s) due to a notification of invalid instructions sent from your bank. Any services linked to the bank have also been deleted.
This is what Capital One says in their external accounts section:

Quote:
Your link must be a personal checking account, not a brokerage, money market or savings account - institutions put restrictions on these types of accounts that prevent electronic transfers.
Pretty annoying.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:33 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

So it's Capital One's rule, with a "wah, it's not really our fault" clause. Sounds like a good reason to change banks.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:06 PM   #10

I use BOA for all my normal banking. Pension check and Social Security deposits also go to BOA. I do this for some of the usual freebies like on-line banking, free checking, etc. I also have an Ally money market account. I can transfer funds between these two easily; however, I direct Ally to make all the moves. If I want to transfer $5000 from BOA to Ally, I direct Ally to request the funds from BOA. It takes one day less to make the transfer and there is no fee. I never would tell BOA to make the transfer.