Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Intl Index - No Fair
Old 01-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Vanguard Intl Index - No Fair

I was going to add a little to my VGTSX tonight and then I realized that because US market was closed yesterday - Vanguard has not updated prices to reflect the Asian bloodbath. Now I can't buy at a price before end of business tomorrow and I expect some rebound.

It's not fair I tell you!

Now I just hope the market drops some more so I'll look like a genius.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You can buy VEU which is an almost identical ETF during the day.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

The market does not close for another 40 minutes or so. My broker would give me today's closing NAV of VGSTX if I place the order soon.

I imagine that if you wanted to, you could place an order now and not wait until tonight. Thus you could get today's NAV as well.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now I can't buy at a price before end of business tomorrow and I expect some rebound.
Only one of the many problems that trying to time the market presents to an investor.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

At Fidelity you can place your orders any time up to 3:59 for that day and get the closing NAV. When I'm buying NTF index funds (for family members since I don't really use index funds) I usually watch the price action on related ETF's like EFA or VEU and then decide whether I want to buy.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am heavy in the International Index fund of my TSP/401k right now, and haven't worked up the guts to go look to see what happend to me yesterday. I'm gonna go take a look...If I don't come back, somebody send out the recovery team.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

If we dont hear from you in 15 minutes, we'll call the President and send out the dogs.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
I am heavy in the International Index fund of my TSP/401k right now, and haven't worked up the guts to go look to see what happend to me yesterday. I'm gonna go take a look...If I don't come back, somebody send out the recovery team.
LOL!!! My sympathies. After Christmas I rebalanced to 23% "I Fund", though by last Friday it was already down to 22% all by itself. I am just going to play ostrich and not look until morning.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well....I forgot that yesterday being a holiday, the TSP won't show the updates until later on tonight. In a couple of hours, I'll be able to go to one of several fed type web sites to see what percentage of my money got flushed down the international toilet, but I won't see the actual damage to my account in dollars and cents until tomorrow morning. I think I still have a little tequila left in the kitchen pantry.............

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
vanguard