Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're planning on 0% real for a few years then 1% real long term. Anything over that will be party time. I am not much of a a risk taker but I'm also not a big spender so it works out.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

FIRECalc gives me a 98% success rate on a WR of 6% over 30 years with a 60/40 portfolio and figuring SS at for me at 70 and DW at 62. As I also have a COLA'ed pension and other investments I do not plan to tap into, I am very comfortable with that. Any reason I shouldn't be? I FIRE in June.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnychapman View Post
FIRECalc gives me a 98% success rate on a WR of 6% over 30 years with a 60/40 portfolio and figuring SS at for me at 70 and DW at 62. As I also have a COLA'ed pension and other investments I do not plan to tap into, I am very comfortable with that. Any reason I shouldn't be? I FIRE in June.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
If you are comfortable, that's what matters. If it were me, I'd ask the following:

What are chances you will live longer than 30 years?
How much more money would you need to turn that 98% into 100%
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
I don't use the 4% rule as a rule at all. I calculate my SWR and compare it to all the literature to determine if I feel comfortable or not.

After all income sources come online (SS for me).

SWR : 4% Not comfortable at all
SWR : 3.5% Concerned
SWR : 3% Ok
SWR : 2.5% Comfortable
SWR : 2% Very comfortable
SWR : 1.5% Look into increasing spending
That's about the way I would look at the various WR's too. But I might change 2.5% to "very comfortable" and 2% to "all set". Even if your investments just keep up with inflation, a 2% WR would last 50 yrs. Either way, it's judgement call.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:49 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Doesn't anyone withdrawing less than 3% worry that you'll leave a huge chunk to your heirs while limiting your enjoyment in your golden years? Is that your intention?
Old 12-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Doesn't anyone withdrawing less than 3% worry that you'll leave a huge chunk to your heirs while limiting your enjoyment in your golden years? Is that your intention?
I'm withdrawing less than 3% specifically because I began ESR/ER with a smaller portfolio that I ideally would have liked. I want to give it a chance to grow a little so that (hopefully) I will have the option to spend more in the future. I'm 51 years old, so a little sacrifice now should lead to more fun later on.

If there is money left over after I'm gone, that's fine. I can always think of a person or charity I like, to leave it to.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
I don't use the 4% rule as a rule at all. I calculate my SWR and compare it to all the literature to determine if I feel comfortable or not.

After all income sources come online (SS for me).

SWR : 4% Not comfortable at all
SWR : 3.5% Concerned
SWR : 3% Ok
SWR : 2.5% Comfortable
SWR : 2% Very comfortable
SWR : 1.5% Look into increasing spending
That's roughly how I look at it also. I'm at 2%, and I like feeling very comfortable.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #68

Quote:
My tendency seems to be to give any extra money to my kids (heirs) anyway.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I'm withdrawing less than 3% specifically because I began ESR/ER with a smaller portfolio that I ideally would have liked. I want to give it a chance to grow a little so that (hopefully) I will have the option to spend more in the future. I'm 51 years old, so a little sacrifice now should lead to more fun later on.

If there is money left over after I'm gone, that's fine. I can always think of a person or charity I like, to leave it to.
Fair enough. I can see a strategy of underdrawing at first, to be adjusted later.

I also retired very early and let my portfolio grow for over a decade with 0 withdrawals. And somehow we made it through two nasty bear markets, and thankfully it still managed to grow in real terms. I had other (riskier) investments to draw on before I started drawing on the retirement portfolio.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #70

While I am planning on a 4% or less in 2 years, I can understand backing off to 3 or 3.5. I am also planning a modest 6% return on retirement funds. With a conservative 2 to 3% difference, I'm not planning on taking any of the principal. Am I missing something?
RetireBy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
My tendency seems to be to give any extra money to my kids (heirs) anyway.
We gift quite a bit too - to siblings and their families, and to charity. But we prefer to do this by drawing more when we are living, rather than letting it accumulate until after we are gone. Since we are gifting to siblings (no children of our own), now seems way more important than later.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #72

Quote:
Fair enough. I can see a strategy of underdrawing at first, to be adjusted later.

I also retired very early and let my portfolio grow for over a decade with 0 withdrawals. And somehow we made it through two nasty bear markets, and thankfully it still managed to grow in real terms. I had other (riskier) investments to draw on before I started drawing on the retirement portfolio.
I am a little concerned that I'll find it difficult to adjust my draw upwards later. I do tend to suffer from an effect that has been much discussed here, and that is that the same frugality that propelled me to be able to ER, also threatens to make it a little difficult to loosen the purse strings in ER. Have you had any issues with this, audreyh1?

Old 12-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, that's not a 'worry' at all.

A worry would be running out of money after quitting work before full retirement age, and then what? My kids would probably help out, but I hope to never hit that stage. Keeping my WR conservative is how I do that.

I do what I want, drink good beer/wine, eat good food, go to concerts, buy what I want. I'm not limiting myself to any great degree. Otherwise, I would have managed to work longer. Everything is a balance, mine feels good to me.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've been withdrawing around 2%, but this year due to starting SS it will be down to 1.x%. I want to leave some to my daughter, but not a huge chunk; her husband has a great job and they are better off than I have ever been, so there isn't much point in that.

I don't *worry* about it exactly, but I agree that the logical move now is to ramp up my lifestyle a bit if that will enhance my life in some way. I have been doing pretty well in that effort, or so I thought, spending lots more on things I truly enjoy, but the more I spend the more the market booms and the more my portfolio grows. Consequently my withdrawal as a percentage of my 12/31 balance each year has been dropping. This is so ironic.

I am looking for a nicer house. That's something I would value and it should put a dent in my portfolio, for sure, plus increased operating costs would increase my yearly WR. But the house has to be one I would like more than my present house. Still looking....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't *worry* about it exactly, but I agree that the logical move now is to ramp up my lifestyle a bit if that will enhance my life in some way. I have been doing pretty well in that effort, or so I thought, spending lots more on things I truly enjoy, but the more I spend the more the market booms and the more my portfolio grows. Consequently my withdrawal as a percentage of my 12/31 balance each year has been dropping. This is so ironic.
We should all be so lucky. I'm officially envious!

Old 12-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We should all be so lucky. I'm officially envious!
Don't be! It's all temporary. I have spent most of my life right around the corner from broke. We all have good luck and bad luck at various times in our lives and nothing is ever constant. Karma is on my side for a change right now, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am a little concerned that I'll find it difficult to adjust my draw upwards later. I do tend to suffer from an effect that has been much discussed here, and that is that the same frugality that propelled me to be able to ER, also threatens to make it a little difficult to loosen the purse strings in ER. Have you had any issues with this, audreyh1?
One can always gift more. That's easy.

I fine myself more inclined to "upgrade" as funds become available.

I have always lived below my means, but I am not necessarily frugal, just prudent.

I'm not buying first class airfare anywhere yet. But I'll buy first class train tickets in Europe.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.

No one seems to mention getting part time work to make ends meet if your portfolio doesn't last. I figure 80% success is good gambling odds. If I ever start to slip into that 20%, why not tighten your belt AND pick up something seasonal to tide you over until your portfolio is healthy again? I reckon if I'm too old to do anything productive, then I'll also be too old to give a care what happens.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
I reckon if I'm too old to do anything productive, then I'll also be too old to give a care what happens.
My fear about a situation like this would be that I would be too old to do anything productive, yet still sentient enough to be miserable if my means had dwindled. Although I hope it doesn't happen to me, I can envisage being physically incapacitated, yet still being perfectly aware that my life sucked. It's a position I don't wish to be in.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #80
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
My fear about a situation like this would be that I would be too old to do anything productive, yet still sentient enough to be miserable if my means had dwindled. Although I hope it doesn't happen to me, I can envisage being physically incapacitated, yet still being perfectly aware that my life sucked. It's a position I don't wish to be in.
I guess I just have a real hard time imagining a life where I'm unable to do anything, but still thrilled because I have a team of nurses and a pile of money in the bank. Spend it while you can enjoy it. That's what I say.