Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I converted 3 accounts from investor to Admiral on Friday. saved about $800 annually by doing 5 minutes of "work."

The VG website had already identified which "investor" funds of mine were convertible to Admiral shares. It could not have been an easier effort.
Not to complain , but they could have just had 1 button to convert all accounts, instead of having to do each 1. I tried selecting multiple accounts and it wouldn't let me do that either.
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Called Scottrade today to ask what was going to happen to my Vanguard index funds that held over $10,000. I was surprised to hear their response; that Scottrade does not have a dealers license to broker the Admiral funds. Guess I'll have to liquidate and buy the ETF.
hogtied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtied View Post
Called Scottrade today to ask what was going to happen to my Vanguard index funds that held over $10,000. I was surprised to hear their response; that Scottrade does not have a dealers license to broker the Admiral funds. Guess I'll have to liquidate and buy the ETF.
Same thing with Schwab...My Schwab rep told me this is only available through Vanguard.
tgotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Not to complain , but they could have just had 1 button to convert all accounts, instead of having to do each 1. I tried selecting multiple accounts and it wouldn't let me do that either.
TJ
Aww, the extra work was good for me.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Aww, the extra work was good for me.
Yeah, it made me feel like I was saving MORE money ...

Thanks for the tip!
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

I only had two accounts to convert over (total bond index, total stock index) so doing them one at a time was easy
Old 10-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #67

We have been getting letters from Vanguard telling us that they are going to automatically convert any qualifying fund from Investor Shares to Admiral Shares, unless we call them by October 27 to opt-out.

A few of ours are just above the threshold, we were not going to convert those, as a drop in the market would kick them back to Investor Shares. Didn't think it made sense for them to bounce around. But it seems they want to go ahead and do it. So if they convert them, then the market drops, and those funds accounts stay below long enough for whatever their overhang time is, then get converted back to Investor, then market goes up, and the funds qualify for Admiral again, I wonder if they stay at Investor till we request a upgrade, or if they automatically do it again.

It seems they could spend $$ bouncing them back and forth, and sending notifications each time. I would expect that someone at Vanguard has thought this all through. They must have some kind of algorithm to limit their costs.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
we were not going to convert those, as a drop in the market would kick them back to Investor Shares
As far as I know, VG won't demote you from Admiral to Investor shares if the drop in acct value is due to a drop in share price. They will demote you if the drop in acct value is due to withdrawals.

Check with them to be sure, though.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
As far as I know, VG won't demote you from Admiral to Investor shares if the drop in acct value is due to a drop in share price. They will demote you if the drop in acct value is due to withdrawals.

Check with them to be sure, though.

Just to add to this... it is true... I converted one account that just made it when it was $100,000... just before the crash... it drop 50%... but they never did anything to move it back... it is still under $100K... but now the threshold is lower so it doesn't matter....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #70

OK thanks. I had just assumed that VG would demote back to Investor Shares if the account value dropped low enough due to market conditions. Now that that's cleared up, I'll just let them convert the just above the threshold accounts.