Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard lowers Admiral req's
Old 10-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Vanguard lowers Admiral req's

This just made my day!

Quote:
Effective today, Vanguard has reduced the minimum amount required to qualify for Admiral™ Shares to $10,000 for most of our broad-market index funds and $50,000 for actively managed funds, down from the previous $100,000 minimum.
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/ins...ement-10062010

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #2

Thanks for sharing! Wonderful news.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Darn, just bought VWIAX...

Age 50, DW is 54, 1.4M split 25 Stock, 40 Mutual Funds, 25 Bonds, 5 Commodities, 5 REIT. Own Home, no debts.
Automatika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #4

Thanks for this. My mom's Vanguard IRA has several positions less than $100K but more than $10K. Time to look into this.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just noticed this bit of news this morning while cruising around vanguard.com and pondering how many more years it will take me to get to the $100,000 (or $50,000 mark for accounts over 10 years old). Worry no longer!

I recall that these conversions are non-taxable events. I certainly hope so, because I'm up for conversion on almost my entire taxable portfolio at vanguard (low six figures with some net gains in there). I wonder if we can exchange these funds today and still have it be a non-taxable transaction?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I just noticed this bit of news this morning while cruising around vanguard.com and pondering how many more years it will take me to get to the $100,000 (or $50,000 mark for accounts over 10 years old). Worry no longer!

I recall that these conversions are non-taxable events. I certainly hope so, because I'm up for conversion on almost my entire taxable portfolio at vanguard (low six figures with some net gains in there). I wonder if we can exchange these funds today and still have it be a non-taxable transaction?
The conversions are non-taxable. To convert today, sign in to your account, click on "accounts and activity" and click on the "convert to admiral shares" link at the top of the page.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #7

So you don't have to wait for VG to do the conversion automatically?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I went out and converted several funds in various accounts. It's quick and easy.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
So you don't have to wait for VG to do the conversion automatically?
You can wait for VG to do the conversion automatically, but it might be a while before the conversion occurs on its own. Or you can direct VG to convert right now if you wish. I just converted several funds. Quick and easy.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
The conversions are non-taxable. To convert today, sign in to your account, click on "accounts and activity" and click on the "convert to admiral shares" link at the top of the page.
Thanks a million (er, 10 basis points to be exact)!

Took 2 minutes.

I also just realized the small cap value fund does not have admiral share class available.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hah! That just popped four of mine into admiral share status. Nice.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone know what happens if you own Vanguard mutual funds in another brokerage account? Will they still switch automatically?
Old 10-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #13

Quote:
To convert today, sign in to your account, click on "accounts and activity" and click on the "convert to admiral shares" link at the top of the page.
Done!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks -- just did it.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Done... except for one which I got a messge that I have to many account... what

Will have to try again later or give them a call...
Old 10-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is great info, thank so much for posting it. I just converted a few funds. What an easy way to save some money.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #17

psst... my mom's Wellesley shares are now Admiral shares.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 10-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Any thoughts on Vanguard's rationale for the change?
- Re-affirm their position as the low-cost provider of MFs (against increasing competition from FIDOs Spartan funds)?
- Take advantage of the recent highlighting of the issue of ETF liquididty during the "flash crash"? Some cost-conscious investors are now concerned and realize ETFs may not behave the same as MF's do in a crisis. If VGD can cut the ERs of MF's to make them comparable to ETFs, they may be able to gain some business.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #19

All I know is that Vanguard, Fidelity and Schwab keep taking turns trying to one-up each other in terms of lowering commissions, fees, expenses and minimum investment requirements -- so investors are winning.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #20

Nice deal, I was able to convert 2 of mine.