Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard MM funds participate in Treasury Guarantee Program
Old 10-25-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard MM funds participate in Treasury Guarantee Program

They announced this a week ago (ancient history, I know, but I didn't see it until know and couldn't find any other threads mentioning it).

I have to admit to feeling a little bit unjustifiably annoyed. I moved a bunch of money out of the NJ MM fund, precisely because I had WAYYY too much NJ exposure and because they said they weren't going to participate in the insurance plan. I ditched the MM fund after they made that announcement mostly because I figured everyone else was going to stampede to the exit. Which appears to be the case, given Vanguard's reversal.

On the one hand, I did the right thing by reducing concentrated credit risk in my portfolio. On the other hand, I'm a little miffed at missing out on the extra "moral hazard" returns provided by the guarantee.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I find it interesting that the yield on their prime money market fund has shot up to 2.7% from 2-2.2% since they signed up for the guarantee program. I wonder if they feel like they can take more risk now that the gummint is guarantying deposits...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote