Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Not Recognizing Computer -- Anyone Else?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard Not Recognizing Computer -- Anyone Else?

Today VG has started asking secondary security questions. Anyone else had that start? I'm using Firefox.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It happened to me last week, but not today.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #3

Just happened to me too. This happens occasionally on some sites. I figure they need us to answer it every couple of months or so just to make sure we're still who we say we are.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Today VG has started asking secondary security questions. Anyone else had that start? I'm using Firefox.
I don't have a Vanguard account, but I've noticed that trend on a number of logins to other financial websites.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Happened to me last night... using IE... wondering the same...

Edit to add... just checked and it asked again...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #6

Depending on how the VG site is coded, the extra security questions may come when your computer's IP address changes. That change is controlled by your ISP and is usually invisible to you.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
Administrator

This happens to me 2 or 3 times a year. Whenever IP address changes, but also what I thought was randomly but appears to be more of a system-wide security check.

It has happened once or twice at USAA as well.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Al,

I just tried it and I had to answer security questions for my personal account and then the same when I logged in to our corporate pension account (for my employer).

Must be that time of the month again.

Edit to add: And when I logged out of the corporate account, and logged back in to my personal account, I had to answer a security question yet again. My understanding was that once you log in from your computer, Vanguard trusts that computer for some period of time (maybe a couple months??).
Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I just logged into Vanguard, and was asked no security questions.

My only problem was that I forgot that I changed my password, and used the old password. After two failed attempts, I looked it up in my files, and logged in with no further delay.

I have been asked security questions when logging in at Frank's house, which I almost never do. That is understandable, because I am logging in from what is (to Vanguard) an unfamiliar computer.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

This happens to me quite often on Vanguard's and USAA's websites. But not today.

Funny thing is DW became a USAA member many years before meeting me and the security questions on what has since become our joint account have not changed since then. So I am often asked the name of DW's boyfriend...
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I got the security question, and I had logged on from this computer, without rebooting it or my DSL router, within the last 2 days.

I hate some of those security questions that ask things like "What is your favorite food?" or book or country to visit, because if you don't have a firm favorite, you won't remember what to answer. Usually there are enough choices to find one, but sometimes they are all things that either don't apply or are "favorite" questions.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #12
Administrator

It happened to me yesterday but not today. It has happened a lot this year as I've been travelling, and on various financial websites not just VG. I use the same laptop but once the ip address changes I will likely be prompted.

No big deal, at least it reminds me what the security questions are
Old 10-26-2010, 12:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
No big deal, at least it reminds me what the security questions are
Or it's a nice chance to remember my maternal grandmother, childhood pet or high school mascot.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

It happened a few times in a row, which is what made me suspect a problem, but it is now OK. Thanks for the responses.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Or it's a nice chance to remember my maternal grandmother, childhood pet or high school mascot.
You had just one childhood pet? Your high school had a mascot?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:06 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

It has happened to me several times in the last few months, typically when I upgrade my security. I assume that teh site recognizes a change in your system.

On my main machine I use WinXP with Firefox with Noscript, also have Superantispyware and Zonealarm Pro.

I also have Ubuntu with Firefox on a different machine. Got the message only the first time logging in.

I never use any other machine to log in to my financial sites. Paranoia is my hobby.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #17

For the last 2 days everytiime I went in I got a security question. That's a good thing, no?
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote