Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard not reporting realized gains/losses since account "upgrade"
Old 12-29-2015, 11:48 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vanguard not reporting realized gains/losses since account "upgrade"

Now that all of my Vanguard funds have distributed their year end dividends and capital gains, I wanted to do a little tax forecasting.

That's when I noticed that my sale of Vanguard Energy Fund on 11/02 before my accounts were "upgraded" is not showing up in the quarterly tax summary of gains/losses.

In fact, no records of short/long term gains/losses of fund shares are showing up at all - all of those columns are zeroes. The only items showing up are dividend and capital gain distributions.

If I go to transaction history, the sale of that fund is shown. But the loss is not reflected in any of the other reports as would normally be expected. I've sent a message to my Vanguard rep to see what is going on but I'm curious if anyone else has observed this?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2015, 12:04 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not sure where you are looking....

Sales do not show up in the dividend pages.... so if you see them, your sales are not there...

I see sales on the 'cost basis' page.... after I click on realized gains/loss....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Not sure where you are looking....

Sales do not show up in the dividend pages.... so if you see them, your sales are not there...

I see sales on the 'cost basis' page.... after I click on realized gains/loss....
Interesting. I'm looking at the Tax Summary | Quarterly Summary page. It has a column for "Sales of Securities", both "Short Term" and "Long Term". My page shows all $0's for the quarter.

Yet if I go to the Cost Basis | Realized Gain & Losses the values do show there.