Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Vanguard Now Offering Inflation-Adjusted Annui
Old 01-09-2005, 10:17 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
The calculator shows the lump sum I would have to invest now to begin drawing an immediate annuity benefit equal to my pension. *If I didn't have the pension then my net worth would have to be higher by that lump sum to produce that same guarenteed income stream. *Right?
Yep, that's how I do it too.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2005, 09:58 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Grumpy, JWR or Bob;
Once you have the value of you pension in dollar terms via the annuity calculator, do you use that figure to set asset allocations in the rest of your portfolio? If so, do you count the pension/annuity as fixed income -- perhaps like treasuries? Or is it more about having the satisfaction of knowing what the value of the hard-earned pension actually is?

Old 01-10-2005, 11:24 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Grumpy, JWR or Bob;
Once you have the value of you pension in dollar terms via the annuity calculator, do you use that figure to set asset allocations in the rest of your portfolio? If so, do you count the pension/annuity as fixed income -- perhaps like treasuries? Or is it more about having the satisfaction of knowing what the value of the hard-earned pension actually is?

I treat the value of the pension as a big slug of fixed income. Therefore I have a very low allocation to any other fixed income investments. Put another way, if I ignore the pension, my allocation to stocks is 75%.

It is also nice to know the value of the "hard earned pension".

Grumpy
Old 01-10-2005, 12:35 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Grumpy, JWR or Bob;
Once you have the value of you pension in dollar terms via the annuity calculator, do you use that figure to set asset allocations in the rest of your portfolio?..Or is it more about having the satisfaction of knowing what the value of the hard-earned pension actually is?
My pension is more than sufficient to meet my needs. I use such calculations to satisfy my curiosity.

More often, I use it to help others as they make their own plans.

Have fun.

John R.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:14 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Grumpy, JWR or Bob;
Once you have the value of you pension in dollar terms via the annuity calculator, do you use that figure to set asset allocations in the rest of your portfolio? *If so, do you count the pension/annuity as fixed income -- perhaps like treasuries? *Or is it more about having the satisfaction of knowing what the value of the hard-earned pension actually is?
For me it's all about knowing the value. The only way I can compare my situation relative to those who have no pension is to include the pension's value in my net worth. I don't add it to my fixed income allocation like Grumpy does.

Tags
vanguard