Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Prime MM
Old 06-05-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vanguard Prime MM

Help me calculate interest and/or what am I missing?

I dumped $3k into VG's Prime Money Mkt. on 5/16, I think?

On 5/30, they supposedly paid a dividend of 0.00435/per share (per $1).

My balance shows up as $3005.90 on 6/2.

What gives?

By my calculation it should be 3000 * .00435 = $13.05

I didn't think it mattered what your balance was throughout the month, just what it was on 5/31, or their record date. But, since I had it in for approx. a half of a month, I guess I understand that they only paid about a 1/2 mo. of interest. But, playing with the days or many other variables, I can't come up with that $5.90.

Simple, yet hard. Explain it to me, please.

-CC

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Balance and interest are computed daily on the prime MM.

Otherwise everyone would be sticking money in there on the 31st and then pulling it out the next day after the interest was paid.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

It looks like you got credit for the money being at Vanguard for 14 days. This is how you can calculate it.

3000*.00435= 13.05
Divided by 31(days in month) 13.05/31 = .42096
Times number of days Vanguard had money.42096*14= 5.89

The difference is probably in the .00435 starting figure. They may also use a 360 or 365 day year to calculate interest this will also make a difference.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:10 AM   #4

CFB: AHHH, it is daily. That was confusing to me, since it's never specifically stated that way.

Freein05: I figured it was some detail like the 360 day thing, or some other combination that I wasn't trying.

These replies answer my question, thanks.

-CC
Old 06-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Let me take a stab at it. They do accrue the interest daily. There is no ex-dividend date like with a stock.

I believe the explanation is in the day count. The $0.00435 per share is for 31 days.

(14/31) x $13.05 = $5.89

So I would say you were invested (earning interest) for 14 days. Furthermore, at the end of April the yield on the Prime was 5.10%. At the end of May, it was 5.13%. Presumably, you were invested at a slightly higher rate than the average. That's probably the source of the extra penny.

I had money in the same fund for the full 31 days with no intra-month investments or withdrawals, and my interest agreed to the penny when I multiplied my April 30 balance by 0.00435.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #6

Not an answer to your question, but it dawned on me recently
that I was actually better off with the Treasury MM fund than the
Prime MM fund, because the after-tax yield was better, thanks
to my state's relatively high marginal income-tax rates.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEyles View Post
Not an answer to your question, but it dawned on me recently
that I was actually better off with the Treasury MM fund than the
Prime MM fund, because the after-tax yield was better, thanks
to my state's relatively high marginal income-tax rates.
Yeah, my state tax is around 4.3% (marginal tax bracket). So Treas. is barely less yield by my calculations.

Thanks for the headsup though.

-CC

Tags
vanguard