Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-11-2008, 07:51 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Nowadays, you can go with Vanguard and get all the hand-holding you need over at the bogleheads forum: Bogleheads :: View Forum - Investing - Help with Personal Investments

So you don't really need to be do-it-yourself, but you must be willing to write anonymous posts about your situation and do a little work on your own to read the answers and implement them.
We do that on here all the time.

Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2008, 03:54 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
Thank-you so much for all of the responses. We did have contact with a representative from Vanguard where we discussed their Asset Management Service. DH an I were quoted a figure and the resulting "sticker shock" led to my seeking advice form all of you.

From the advice and resources given we will go back to the drawing board and look at Vanguard's Financial Planning Services. That may be more in line with what we are looking for.

Another wrinkle. The current company we are dealing with is going the charge us for closing the account. That stinks and we are currently going over the fine print to see if we can lessen the blow.

A todos los amantes del mundo. No importa el color de su piel, la pasion es universal.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Any day your on this side of the grass is a good day.
Cattusbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I would go to the Finra web site to see if your current advisor or his firm has complaints against him.

And maybe consider filing one yourself.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:12 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Cat, if the charge is something like $50-75, then that is a typical charge that many places will hit you with upon closing an account. Also, if you have "B" class shares of mutual funds, then you may get hit with a "contingent deferred sales charge" (CDSC) that will usually decrease the longer you have held it. This CDSC can really add up in some cases.

FUEGO is online now   Reply With Quote