Vanguard Retirement Calculator

jkern

Full time employment: Posting here.
I just moved from a Fidelity 403b to a Vanguard IRA. I looked at their website and didn't see anything resembling Fidelity's RIP calculator. Does Vanguard have a similar tool?

The closest thing that they have that I know of is Financial Engines. Search for "Financial Engines" on the summary page after you have logged in to Vanguard.

In my experience, Monte Carlo-based simulators will be more conservative than firecalc by about 1% on the WR. So if firecalc says you are safe at 4%, a Monte Carlo simulator will say you're safe at 3%. Roughly speaking and YMMV.

Wow, I haven't used that one! Bookmarked for later.

Do you know how it compares to firecalc, iORP, and ESPlanner?

I find the results to be fairly similar to firecalc, but it's so much easier to quickly change input parameters and see how that impacts results. You can see detailed, year by year results/calculations and even download them to pdf. There's nice sensitivity analysis feature as well.

I use the downloadable version of FRP as this way I can save my data for later use. Take the time to read through the documentation so that you understand exactly how your input impacts the results. The support forum is good too. And the developer (Jim) will promptly answer any questions you might have.

Back
Top Bottom