Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Dad? Is that you?

Jeesh Robbie, my Dad kept his monthly statements on paper in a 3-ring binder. (He would be 88 today).
Hehe, yup that's where I learned this system. My Pops was scared to death of computers and never bought or used one. His statements came in the mail. This made it easy for me to know where everything was when I moved him in with me after he got sick and easy to process it all after he died.

Hey Pops, what's that password for Fidelity...

So now when I have a problem it will be easy for someone to just open the binder and look.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2017, 12:43 AM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I take screenshots and make notes of various accounts, and download the statements as I've finally figured out DW is right that we should save the statements.

I had sort of a similar thing, looked at my account and saw it was 1/2 of what I expected, and wondered a bit why, then looked at my notes and realized I had transferred a bunch to a different brokerage (Duh!!).

But it's hard to keep track of multiple things without notes.
Yeah I've been downloading statements monthly also...

I wish there was some automatic way to download them into my Google Drive but then I guess in theory the company would be able to meddle with my files in the drive if I was really paranoid ...

Old 11-15-2017, 06:23 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Although there was a time when I checked my Vanguard accounts almost daily, I now rarely even look at things such as performance, balances, etc.

Yesterday, I noticed the balance on our Vanguard accounts, and it was only two thirds of what I remembered. I puzzled over it—not yet panicking. I looked at a graph of our balance over time, and there were no sudden changes. There was the dip in 2008. Everything was consistent.

Finally, by looking at my annual rebalancing notes, I figured it out: For some reason, Vanguard had just stopped including DW's IRA balances on my page (without notifying me). I fixed that, and everything makes sense again.

But here's the thing: At one point while puzzling this out, I convinced myself that I'd just mis-remembered the higher balance. That is, I didn't trust my memory. If I hadn't had my local notes, would I have figured it out?

It made me think about a time when I might become too confused to manage my own accounts.
I have my Fidelity account setup for all electronic alerts and notifications. Don't know about Vanguard but Fidelity sends "notifications" to my account through their message center. Those notifications on Fidelity only show on my account for 60-90 days. Maybe you did receive notification but since you aren't checking your account they are deleted after a certain amount of time. You should be checking your account more than once a year or turn it over to someone that will. Maybe this is the reason to stop fishing so much, lol.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:16 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Hehe, yup that's where I learned this system. My Pops was scared to death of computers and never bought or used one. His statements came in the mail. This made it easy for me to know where everything was when I moved him in with me after he got sick and easy to process it all after he died.

Hey Pops, what's that password for Fidelity...

So now when I have a problem it will be easy for someone to just open the binder and look.
Actually a good backup system. DM has all of her info in detailed paper file which is very easy to follow. Likewise I have told the kids about the black book to solve my overall financial picture. Its much easier to get a clear picture vs assembling a puzzle of even a few online accounts.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep - this is the third time you've posted it here...
The only reason I know you're joking is that before posting, I did a search for some of the words I might have used, and didn't find anything.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:54 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Here's a related story:

An old school friend and I got together to watch the total eclipse.

We were talking about our memories, and I explained that I use my older sister and mother as benchmarks.

That is, I have a feeling for how my sister's memory is (ten years older—74) and how my mother's memory was before she died (age 92. She'd read a book and you could give her the same book, and she'd happily read it again, not remembering that she already read it).

IOW, I felt that as long as I was above that glide path, I wouldn't worry.

Then I stopped, and asked my friend, "Did I tell you that before?"

He said, "Yeah. Twice!"
That's funny. I just hope I haven't told some of my same stories too many times here.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #47
Dryer sheet aficionado

Good points... and valid concerns. I keep an Excel spreadsheet with "approx" balances at each brokerage/bank. It gives a good snapshot of my net worth as well as a reminder where I've the accounts. Now if I forget where I keep that Excel....
Old 11-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #48

Quote:
I'd like to do that, but the closest I can come is six accounts!

My IRA account
My Roth IRA account
Our taxable account
Lena's IRA account
Lena's Roth IRA account
My HSA account

I've considered changing them all to the same asset allocation account, but that wouldn't simplify things a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
Once per month, I log in and type balances into a spreadsheet which drives my asset allocation calculation. The spreadsheet is password protected and stored in the cloud. If the need arises to simplify, hopefully I will be aware enough to react in time. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyx View Post
Yeah I've been downloading statements monthly also...

I wish there was some automatic way to download them into my Google Drive but then I guess in theory the company would be able to meddle with my files in the drive if I was really paranoid ...
I have a consolidtion spreadsheet that's completely automated. I open the browser and log into LastPass. Then I run a macro that grabs a snapshot from all of the various institutions. Sounds better than it is, though, because small changes in the web sites break the macro.

But the good news is that maintaining the macro is a lot harder than monitoring the finances, so that's my canary in the coal mine.