Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index Fund Investor Shares vs. CD
Old 01-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index Fund Investor Shares vs. CD

Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index Fund Investor Shares vs. a 2 year CD for 2%

Which would you buy and why looking out two years?

Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

ST bond fund... I like to be liquid...

Old 01-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

The fund has had a 1 year return of 2.96% and a 3 year return of 3.72%. I would buy the fund. I own the Admiral class + CDs with the CDs as part of my emergency funds.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The CD will return your money with interest in 2 years. The bond fund will probably yield more, but there is no guarantee that you will get your capital back in 2 years. You might lose money if the share price goes down. Which bothers you more? Losing your capital if the share price declines, or limiting your gains to 2% a year.?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
ST bond fund... I like to be liquid...
+1

I cashed my last CD in Dec. The rates are just too low these days so my cash is now all in I-Bonds and the VG ST bond fund.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index for all my short-term (< 1yr) funds.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Nobody is wondering where he found a 2 year CD for 2%??
Old 01-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #8

Local Credit Union
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by afntrn56 View Post
Nobody is wondering where he found a 2 year CD for 2%??
Good point.

Edit: Can't get that at Penfed.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #10

Bernanke said he would not raise rates for two year which do you think will have a high return?
Old 01-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I do own a big chunk of VFSUX and no CD's for all the reasons above (liquidity, better returns expected vs any CD I have access to, Fed rates essentially nil into 2014). But we all have to do what's best for ourselves...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I do own a big chunk of VFSUX and no CD's for all the reasons above (liquidity, better returns expected vs any CD I have access to, Fed rates essentially nil into 2014). But we all have to do what's best for ourselves...
I wonder if it pays to employ this strategy if you already have a good deal invested in VBTLX? Is there a diversification in using alongside VFSUX? Is it reasonable to assume that since no rate increases until 2014 that VFSUX would be a better deal than say a brokered CD at 3% for 10 years? Or should one just go with more VBTLX and stay the course so to speak.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wonder if it pays to employ this strategy if you already have a good deal invested in VBTLX? Is there a diversification in using alongside VFSUX? Is it reasonable to assume that since no rate increases until 2014 that VFSUX would be a better deal than say a brokered CD at 3% for 10 years? Or should one just go with more VBTLX and stay the course so to speak.
Fair enough, and I could argue both sides. I am 50/50 VFSUX & VBTLX and ordinarily I would be comfortable with all VBTLX - and was until the Fed started "committing" to holding down rates for years. I wanted to shorten duration to reduce the inevitable hit bond fund NAVs will take once the Fed increases rates - that 99% of us won't be able to act fast enough to avoid. But I realize I am giving up some yield with VFSUX in the meantime and it may all come out in the wash, hopefully no better no worse in the end?

As for a 10-year CD at 3%, I'd rather have the liquidity. I expect yields close to that near term (and much better than short term cash equivalents, MMF, etc.), and I expect to do better with bonds in a few years, certainly less than 10 years out though my crystal ball is almost useless.

If there is a clear right answer re: cash & bonds today, I haven't found it. Reasoned critiques are always welcome.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

It really does pose a dilemma for us all. I am still in the process of investing the rest of a lump sum and have basically a four fund philosophy plus CD's at the moment. I am considering what you are proposing Midpack as another option in the short term. I sure wish my crystal ball would work as well. Sometimes I wonder if it is all worth the effort or should I just go for the sure thing and put it all in 10 year Cd's for 3 percent and be done with it. I guess time will tell as they say. I too am always open for new suggestions and this one (VFSUX) is interesting to me indeed.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if it is all worth the effort or should I just go for the sure thing and put it all in 10 year Cd's for 3 percent and be done with it .
10 year CD's at these rates bother me. Ten years ago I would have never thought we would have 1 year T-bill rates at under 1%, much less near zero. So, I am very careful going out more than 3 years. I have several 5 year CD's at about 2.2% only because the penalty for breaking them is very small.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #16

If I were a fund manager I don't think I'd like it if my fund's ticker ended in "SUX"...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #17

If deflation ensues over the 5 or 10 years, those 10 year CD will look like a genius move.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have about 10 years of income supplement in VFSUX Vanguards ST investment grade. To my little pea brain it is as good as cash. Never had a CD in my entire life.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #19

It's interesting that the TOTAL Bond Index (VBTLX) is invested 69.2% in government securities. Somehow I thought it would be a more uniform distribution across the bond market.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Okay, So here's a question. I have a large slug of money set aside to pay taxes on a windfall on April 15th. Right now it is in the bank at 0.95%. Would it be appropriate to put it in VFSUX for 2-1/2 months? Is that too short term?