Vanguard Tax Software this Year?

ejman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anybody seen anything from Vanguard on what they are doing re tax software this year? Last year I was so upset with the whole Turbo Tax fiasco that I ended up using Tax Cut (which worked just fine for my me) but I'm curious if anyone has any info on this.

I got a Turbotax CD in the mail today. Looks like Intuit is taking a page out of the old days of AOL giving a CD hoping I'd try and then buy.

But I'm holding out for the [-]freebie[/-] better deal from Vanguard :).

Yes, some Vanguard customer please let us know. Last year I called Schwab and bitched that I could get free TurboTax from Vanguard if I was a customer there and they countered by crediting my account $80. I need to know what Vanguard is doing so I can trigger Schwab to match as a "courtesy."

fidelity usually matches what vanguard is giving away. Have received free turbotax the last few years. Waiting to see what will happen this year.

fidelity usually matches what vanguard is giving away. Have received free turbotax the last few years. Waiting to see what will happen this year.

Last year I called Schwab and bitched that I could get free TurboTax from Vanguard if I was a customer there and they countered by crediting my account $80.

Really ? That's cool, so what do you say to Schwab and Fido reps?

Last edited:
Has anybody seen anything from Vanguard on what they are doing re tax software this year? Last year I was so upset with the whole Turbo Tax fiasco that I ended up using Tax Cut (which worked just fine for my me) but I'm curious if anyone has any info on this.
Generally VG offers TT in mid December for download.

My Fidelity rep was happy to give it to me last year. He said all I had to do was ask.
Probably a little early just yet. Maybe in a month would be appropriate. Not much point now for most of us because of waiting for all the paperwork to show up.

Meanwhile I can get decent estimates using Dinkytown.
1040 Tax Calculator

Oregon has a high income tax rate so I generally end up paying more in state tax than Federal. Unfortunately taxcaster et al only estimate Federal taxes so I need both fed & state to get a really good estimate for Roth conversion purposes. I know I could re characterize latter on but I want to minimize work/hassle.

My Fidelity rep was happy to give it to me last year. He said all I had to do was ask.
Probably a little early just yet. Maybe in a month would be appropriate. Not much point now for most of us because of waiting for all the paperwork to show up.

Meanwhile I can get decent estimates using Dinkytown.
1040 Tax Calculator

Did you give a credit or actual TurboTax product?

I've gotten the turbotax to download onto my computer last two years. Got the cd the year before that. Once I see what is being offered by the others I call up my rep and I get it.

Thanks for the info. I need to ask my rep. I have an opt with him early next month.

Thanks for the info. I need to ask my rep. I have an opt with him early next month.

I have a rep at VG and one at Schwab, but not sure about Fido.
Do you need to have a substantial size portfolio to have a rep at Fido?

Yes, my Fido rep just gave me a code for a free download of TurboTax.

I'm not sure what size account you need to get this particular freebie.
Fidelity Premium ServicesSM
If you have a larger, more complex portfolio, Fidelity Premium Services offers dedicated representatives to help you optimize your investing plan.

Fidelity Premium Services is generally available to investors whose eligible retail household relationship assets are at least $250,000.

Wouldn't just going to Vanguard be more direct? :D

Hardly. I'm with Schwab for a variety of reasons discussed in other threads. Moving to Vanguard just to get my free tax software "more directly" would be letting the tail wag the dog.....

But I understand what you mean.

Really ? That's cool, so what do you say to Schwab and Fido reps?

I called my Schwab rep and whined about it. Schwab is petty sensitive about losing customers partially or wholly to Vanguard, so she immediately responded with "how much does TT cost?" I said "$80." She said "check your account in a few mins." I did and there was a courtesy credit of $80. No clue if they'll do it again this year, but I aim to try.

I think somewhere around a half mil they assigned me my own rep. At a million I got invited to dinners with more personal annual market updates Etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom