Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Tips Fund - Kinda Scary in a Good Way !!
Old 02-27-2004, 02:33 PM   #1

Vanguard Tips Fund - Kinda Scary in a Good Way !!

I put a bunch of cash I had sitting on the sidelines into the Vanguard TIPS fund - VIPSX - for the non-volatile portion of my portfolio. I did this in early Feb. As of today I have already made a 2% return on my money in less than a month.

I was thinking this was going to be non-volatile investment. What am I missing here? The downside risk must be more than I was thinking it was!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Vanguard Tips Fund - Kinda Scary in a Good Way
Old 02-27-2004, 02:41 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's pretty much a zero-sum game. While the NAV has gone up, yields have come down. Take a look at the daily TIPS yield curve:

http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/domes...eal_yield.html

This tells me people are betting on imminently higher inflation.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 04:17 PM   #3

Quote:
I did this in early Feb. As of today I have already made a 2% return on my money in less than a month.
Don't scale that return out to a year! You got in on a recovery.

I got into VIPSX in May of last year. It had been going up and up before I got in, and that continued for a little bit. Then it slid negative, and has sawtoothed back and forth over the 0% return mark (relative to last May). It has finally inched back, and today my return over the period is 4%. And it is volatile.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:03 PM   #4

VIPSX is basically a long-term bond fund (avg maturity around 10 years). It's going to be sensitive to interest rate changes, but in recent years it looks less volatile than other long-term bond funds.

Here's a chart comparing VIPSX with VBLTX (LT index) over the last year:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=1y&s...=m&q=l&c=vipsx

You're about to see something new wrt TIPS: negative real yields. Everybody knows that short-term treasuries currently have a negative real yield, but you don't see it because they're quoted in terms of nominal yield.

Watch the YTM of the 1/07 TIPS as it matures. It's almost zero now, and will soon be quoted as a negative yield
Old 03-01-2004, 10:35 AM   #5

I don't know why this excites me so, but I just pulled up a quote on the 1/07 TIPS.

The yield-to-maturity is -0.255!

Somehow it just seems harder to swallow buying a bond with a quoted negative yield than it does losing money to inflation in a money market account. I guess it's the same psychology that makes paying $75/mo for a cell phone more palatable than losing the opportunity to save over $100K with the same money.

Tags
vanguard