Vanguard to announce December's dividends tomorrow

Bluemoon

Recycles dryer sheets
I just spoke to VG and was told that tomorrow December's dividends will be posted on their web site.

I think what you are referring to is capital gains distributions.

Woo-hoo! I'm looking forward to that. Let's hope they are nice.

:dance:

But wouldn't the price per share change by the amount of the distribution so it is a non-event from a value perspective? In other words, I'll have more shares but the value per share is lower so I'm not any better off than I was at the beginning of the day in terms of the total value?

I think that is the way it works.

But wouldn't the price per share change by the amount of the distribution so it is a non-event from a value perspective? In other words, I'll have more shares but the value per share is lower so I'm not any better off than I was at the beginning of the day in terms of the total value?

I think that is the way it works.

I limit my expenses to no more than:

(1) 3.5% SWR, or
(2) my dividends,

whichever is smaller. So, if my dividends are small then I would have less to spend. The price per share goes up and down but I still have the same number of shares. Or more, actually, since so far I haven't been spending my entire withdrawal and so some is reinvested. I never sell shares to live on; only to rebalance.

LTCG don't excite me so much, since I reinvest them all. :(

Last edited:
I limit my expenses to no more than:

(1) 3.5% SWR, or
(2) my dividends,

whichever is smaller. So, if my dividends are small then I would have less to spend. The price per share goes up and down but I still have the same number of shares. Or more, actually, since so far I haven't been spending my entire withdrawal and so some is reinvested.

LTCG don't excite me so much, since I reinvest them all. :(

Ah, I see the method to your madness! You just want a big dividend so you can spend more and stimulate the economy for us all.

Back
Top Bottom