Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Transactions Take Too Long
Old 04-07-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Vanguard Transactions Take Too Long

Have you noticed that Vanguard takes a long time before posting the credit to your account? As an example, I bought additional shares of money market fund via electronic transfer from my bank on 4/3/08. My bank account shows that the transaction on the same day. Vanguard took a couple of days to move from Pending to Processed? status, but the increased number of shares is unavailable as of 4/7/08. My past experience tells me that it would take up to 7 days before the increase in shares or balance becomes available. The same thing applies to selling shares from the brokerage account as well. We sold shares of an ETF on 4/2/08. As of 4/7/08 (the settlement date), the account shows a credit but has not yet been posted to our sweeping money account. I am hoping that it will be posted tomorrow so that we can transfer it into our Roth IRA by 4/15/08.

I am not pleased about the delay since money is getting held up. This is so inconvenient. E*trade seems more efficient - the money from selling stocks usually becomes available almost instantaneously or next day (the latest).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Last week, I made a transfer from my bank on Wednesday afternoon and it was credited to my Vanguard account on Friday morning. My bank account was debited on Friday night. Of course, once the money is credited to my Vanguard account, it takes 10 days before it becomes available, that is it takes 10 days before I can transfer it back to my bank account or before I can invest it in non-Vanguard funds or stocks in my Vanguard brokerage account (I believe that Vanguard will let you do exchanges as soon as your Vanguard account gets credited even if the money is "unavailable"). There is about a two day delay for brokerage purchases and/or sales to post on my sweep account. It's OK with me because I don't trade much, but if you do a lot of trading, then I agree, Vanguard's brokerage account is not ideal.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:24 PM   #3

Spanky, did you push the funds to Vanguard or pull them using Vanguard to initiate the transaction?

I think a push from another institution is quick, but a pull is slow. We had another thread about this not too long ago.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

In my case I pulled from VG (I use the "buy" function on VG's website). And by the way, I think the reason why transfers to/from VG brokerage accounts are slow is because their brokerage accounts are actually held by Pershing, so you probably have to deal with a bank-to-bank transfer between the sweep account and the brokerage account. With Etrade, you don't have to deal with that.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Spanky, did you push the funds to Vanguard or pull them using Vanguard to initiate the transaction?

I think a push from another institution is quick, but a pull is slow. We had another thread about this not too long ago.
It was a pull? -- sold Vanguard ETF from my brokerage account.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #6

FWIW, I did a push to Vanguard on 4/3 and the funds were available at Vanguard on 4/4.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
It was a pull? -- sold Vanguard ETF from my brokerage account.
If you initiated the transaction from the brokerage account, then it's a push (because you are transferring money to your Vanguard sweep account). Don't think of you VG brokerage account as a Vanguard account at all. In fact I view it as a Pershing account.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #8

If you sold a stock or ETF, the funds aren't available until the trade is settled. I think settlement time is the same everywhere.

Edit: also, do you have a margin account at both Vanguard and eTrade? Margin vs cash account could affect the availability of funds for reinvestment.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #9

I think E*trade allows proceeds from unsettled sales for re-investment immediately.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:36 PM   #10

OK, it sounds like you have a margin account at e-Trade. If you also have a margin account at Vanguard, then FIREdreamer is probably right that it has to do with VBS vs Vanguard mutual funds. Within VBS, you should be able to use the proceeds immediately for another VBS purchase.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #11
Administrator

Spanky, this type of delay in the 21st century is annoying no matter whether you pushed, pulled, or jumped up and down!

I had experienced delays as well, but thought my bank was to blame. My bank has always listed my direct deposited federal paycheck as "pending" for several days after it arrives, and insinuates that I cannot spend it right away (which I personally feel is illegal, or should be). Earlier this month they stopped doing that so maybe they finally figured that out.

Delay just seems so unnecessary in today's highly computerized environment.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm having this same problem for the last 3 days. Do you get the fund at the price it was when you bought or what it is whenever they finally finish doing whatever they're doing while it's "pending"?
Old 05-03-2008, 11:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichoRosai View Post
I'm having this same problem for the last 3 days. Do you get the fund at the price it was when you bought or what it is whenever they finally finish doing whatever they're doing while it's "pending"?
I think it is the latter.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:52 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Ugh. The purchase is becoming less favorable every day.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:59 PM   #15

Yup, I put a transaction through on Wed night ( 4/30/08 ) after 10pm to buy from my local checking and the Vanguard fund didn't show as a buy until after the close on Friday ( 5/2/08 ).

Why can't Vanguard place the buy order after the close on Thursday ( 5/1/08 )?
Old 05-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

I placed on Wednesday and still nothing today. I don't want to do the math and depress myself even more but I think I've lost 100s of dollars worth of shares.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichoRosai View Post

You get the fund at the price it was when you bought it (that is, the price of the mutual fund at the end of the trading day. It's locked in.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
If you sold a stock or ETF, the funds aren't available until the trade is settled. I think settlement time is the same everywhere.

Edit: also, do you have a margin account at both Vanguard and eTrade? Margin vs cash account could affect the availability of funds for reinvestment.
I do not have a margin account at WellsFargo, but if you sold a stock or ETF, the funds are available immediately to purchase another stock, ETF or mutual fund. You do not have to wait until the settlement date. I have not attempted to withdraw money out of my WF brokerage account immediately after a sell and before the settlement date.

Anyways, if you want instant results, switch to using ETFs.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:28 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

It is weird. I have automatic investment plan set up so every other Friday $$ goes into my IRA. It gets credited into my IRA on Thursday, but doesn't get taken out of checking until Friday.
When I recently opened a new fund (VTSMX) I filled out all the online info on Thursday and it didn't complete until Monday.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

FWIW here's what they told me.

When using the Electronic Bank Transfer option, it is a three business day
transmission process. The timeline is as follows:

DAY 1
Transaction is received before 10 p.m., Eastern time.

DAY 2
The trade date for your purchase.

DAY 3
Your bank account is debited. Completed transaction is viewable on
Vanguard.com.

Tags
vanguard