Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Wellesley Income Inv VWINX and forget about it?
Old 10-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Vanguard Wellesley Income Inv VWINX and forget about it?

Many folks here just get into Vanguard Wellesley Income Inv VWINX and more or less just forget about it?
Seems like a good long term semi safe option that allows folks to relax..........
Am looking to relax................

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Administrator

Wellesley is very popular among some of us here. I think you could do a lot worse.

I keep 30% Wellesley, simply because personally I would never put more than 30% in any one fund, even one as well managed and diversified as Wellesley.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, VTINX also looks nice and boring........
My only concern is the lower rated bond portion of these heading into a rising interest rate environment. Its never easy............
Old 10-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you put 70% of your remaining funds in other than Vanguar* cos?
Old 10-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #5

I will be filing the papers to collect my pension in a lump sum (one-time offer from megacorp) this week. Although I have a mix of index funds in my rollover IRA (from two 401ks), I decided to put this lump sum in a separate IRA with 100% invested in Wellesley, primarily due to what others have posted here along with my own research. It seems to me to be a good solid place for my "pension" (which I most likely won't start drawing on until well past 59-). By keeping it separate from my 401k rollovers, I can see how it grows compared to my projections - not necessary, just more for academic interest.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wellesley is very popular among some of us here. I think you could do a lot worse.

I keep 30% Wellesley, simply because personally I would never put more than 30% in any one fund, even one as well managed and diversified as Wellesley.
I just checked and I currently have 31% in a combination of Wellesley and Wellington funds.

I first bought Wellesley in 2003 and am more than pleased with its stability and performance. I thought I got the tip to buy it from this site but see now I didn't join until 2005. Must be one of those "false" memories because I didn't lurk much before joining.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I hold Wellesley instead of a bond fund. I'm ok with the extra bit of volatility and it's performance has been great. I'm at 15% right now, but I'll probably increase my allocation with time.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Before a move to the sidelines a couple months ago my KISS Vanguard portfolio was 1/3 Wellesley (VWIAX), 1/3 Wellington (VWENX) and 1/3 Target Retirement (VTINX).

On the Fidelity side was 50% Short Term Bond Index Fund (VSBAX), 30% Total Stock Fund (FSTVX), and the balance split between International (FSIIX) and Emerging Markets (FEMKX). My Vanguard portfolio is about three times bigger than the Fidelity portfolio. Both are IRAs.

Also have ~150K in a Vanguard taxable account - 1/2 Wellesley (since moved to money market) and 1/2 in their Intermediate term bond fund (VFIDX).

The upshot of all this was about 40/60 stocks/bonds. I hope to re-enter the market at the end of October. Will probably dial it down to 30/70.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been on the side lines for a while. Plan to start averaging back into things.
Am trying to come up with a shopping list / mix of funds. Plan to keep it simple with the focus being on dependable dividends. If at all possible. As I think things could turn downward in the short / med. term, but the dividends will keep me happy.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:58 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Combined, DH and I have approx 30 percent of our port in Wellesley, and have had the accounts for several years.

We've been very pleased with the performance, so I don't see us changing any time soon.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use Vanguard tax managed balanced fund for my taxable income. It pays about 2% dividend each year and the after tax income is higher than wellesley for me. I do have some wellesley in my Roth IRA. Both are good, most of my other investments are index, heavy in total stock and a little in REITS for diversification. All in Vanguard.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I recall, UncleMick was the #1 Wellesley booster with his. "pssst Wellesley" suggestions. However, I am not sure whether he stayed the course with this fund or moved to a target date one.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #13

I'm a tinkerer. I think it's in my DNA. I hold a variety of stock and bond ETFs, and re-weight them occasionally as I see fit. For example, on the equity side, I mainly hold VTI (or the closest equivalent in DW's employer-limited, tax-deferred accounts). But I also hold VXUS for international exposure and VYM to emphasize large-cap/high dividend. I've been increasing VYM lately, to cushion volatility a bit. On the fixed income side, I mainly hold AGG. But I also hold a small amount of BNDX for international exposure and LQD/HYG to emphasize corporate bonds over treasuries. I've been increasing HYG lately as a modest hedge against rising rates. That's not a complete picture, but you get the idea. I'm not a one fund kinda guy. I like being in control, and not too concentrated in one or two funds. Wellington and Wellesley are excellent choices, no question. But they're like a black box to me, and the ER is quite a bit higher than my weighted average.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a good proportion in Wellesley right now, but I'm a bit worried about it. It was great for years while interest rates were coming down, but it's going to suffer when rates start going in the other direction.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquernom View Post
i have a good proportion in wellesley right now, but i'm a bit worried about it. It was great for years while interest rates were coming down, but it's going to may suffer when rates start going in the other direction.
fify

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Any bond, bond fund, or bond portion of a balanced mutual fund will be worth less if interest rates go up. The same could be true of dividend paying stocks.

If you buy a bond and hold it to maturity you will get your principal returned, usually.

Pick your poison.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I am conducting a bit of an experiment to try and duplicate Wellesley using very low cost ETF funds. Currently I have invested a small amount in ETFs. ,I have 60% in a total bond market ETF, and 40% in an ETF that invests in stocks that consistently pay dividends. So far, it looks good, but ask me again in a few years after interest rates have gone up.

Of course I also own Wellesley itself.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #18

My Roth IRA is comprised entirely of Wellesley. It makes up approx. 25% of total portfolio. I would be comfortable going as high as 33% with that fund although I don't have current plans to do so.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I am at 33%..It's my rock!!!..might be higher in a few days if the market goes down more and percentages change.
ducky911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

VWINX is my 2nd largest mutual fund holding, at 10.5 % of my total portfolio.
I caught the "pssst Wellesley" bug here when I first joined the site back in 2007. Very happy with its performance.