Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Wellington VWELX at this time?
Old 08-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vanguard Wellington VWELX at this time?

I am retired and other than social security have no other form of income. My objective is to preserve my income for my son who will need this income when I am no longer here. I placed $500,000 in the hands of a well known bond investor, when I was very ill, and did not think I was going to make it. That resulted in purchasing very risky investments (which I unfortunately left up to him) resulting in a total loss of $250,000, much of which is gone forever in 4 bankruptcies so far. I have another $200,000 I invested myself, in a combination of dividend producing stocks, a lot of utilities, mlps etc. I am almost whole at this point in that portfolio.

I have several CD's coming due, and as you know we are looking at not much more than a 2% return on those. I already have money in the higher paying CD's (Pen Fed etc.) I am in a quantry as to what to do at this juncture.
An annuity in not in my vocabulary.

I do need to produce income, so my choices are:
CD's
bonds
bond market
Wellington
Foreign dividend funds (don't know any in particular)

Though we could all get rich if we could predict the future, I am inclined to feel that we are going to continue in a deflationary environment, and stagflation at best, with inflation down the road when we come out of it, which I think will be years. Yet, playing it so safe as to earn 1 to 2% is difficult to swallow as well.

Wellington, which is a bond/stock fund with greater emphasis on bonds is at $26.68 today with a yield of about 3.75%. What is your feeling about this fund at this juncture? As I am not familiar with funds like this.... Do they make quarterly payments to you on their yield?

Any other ideas? I am not that sophisticated in this areana. I used to be involved in real estate, but those days are gone with no inclination to return due to health.

I am shy of investment advisors. I did better as a total novice then my "expert".

What say you, guys?
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Mod, it's nice to see you back posting again. Sorry for the lousy experience at the hand of your well known "expert".

When you say..
Quote:
Wellington, which is a bond/stock fund with greater emphasis on bonds...
...do you actually mean Wellesley rather than Wellington?

I own both and the fund allocation of Wellesley is roughly 35/65 stocks/bonds vs. the reverse for Wellington. Regardless, I think in your situation I'd go with Wellesley as it is a better income generator - current yield slightly north of 4.6%.

Edit to add: Yes, both Wellington and Wellesley make quarterly dividend distributions.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Wellington, which is a bond/stock fund with greater emphasis on bonds
Wellington Fund (VMELX) assets are divided roughly 60% equities and 40% bonds.
Wellesley Fund (VWINX) is roughly divided 60% bonds and 40% equities.

I would use CDs for money that you need in the next ~2 years, so
what if interest rate is low, not going to make that much difference over
2 year period.
Maybe use Short Term Bond index (VBISX) and High Yield Corp (VWEHX)
funds for years 3-6, will give better return, and either of the above for
the rest of the money.

Picking the right advisor is harder than picking a stock, unfortunately
there a so many bad ones they taint the entire profession.
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #4

Another vote for Wellesley, DWs IRA is in it. My primary IRA is in a target retirement type fund and they work if you select one with an AA you like.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been checking out some income producing funds also. One fund which I am thinking of opening account is AGDCX. It pays 8.82% dividend. If anyone has experience with this fund or a better fund,please respond.
Thanks
rsingh6675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #6

I am not familiar with that fund, but with that dividend I would have to say there is definitely more risk involved.

I am wondering if I missed the boat on purchasing Wellsley. It is up around $20 last time I looked. Wouldn't that be buying in on the high side?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #7

Looked into AGDCX. It is a primarily foreign bond fund with stellar performance this year and a good ten yr. return. It is a high yield high risk (average BB) rated fund with a 1.75% yr. total expense. (I think I'm answering my own comments here....)
Old 08-07-2009, 05:03 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I am not familiar with that fund, but with that dividend I would have to say there is definitely more risk involved.

I am wondering if I missed the boat on purchasing Wellsley. It is up around $20 last time I looked. Wouldn't that be buying in on the high side?
Well, you could say that for buying nearly anything as the market has bounced back nicely after the big drops of last October and March. I think that when you are buying something like Wellesley, you are buying for the long term. If you are concerned that this is a temporary spike, you could DCA into it but Wellesley is not as volatile as some other funds due to its bond component. I would just go ahead and buy it.

I have 30% Wellesley, much of which I bought at higher prices than it sells for today, and I am nevertheless very happy with it as I prepare to retire this fall. It is a nice income source.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:07 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There is nothing magic about balanced funds like Wellsley or Wellington. You can create your own balanced fund at any time by buying separately a bond fund and a stock fund. You are only fooling yourself when you buy something like Wellsley or Welllington.

So rather than think about which fund to buy, one should think about what percentage of bonds and what percentage of stocks they want in their portfolio. Once you have those percentages figured out, go buy the index funds with the lowest expense ratios that fulfill those percentages that you can find. There is no boat to miss.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Did the dividend/yield stay the same through the down turn?
Livefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by livefree View Post
did the dividend/yield stay the same through the down turn?
Here are the Wellesley dividends per share since March 2008:

dateVWIAX dividend
03/25/08 0.572
06/25/08 0.624
09/25/08 0.593
12/17/08 0.650
03/26/09 0.576
06/25/09 0.541

Old 08-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Here are the Wellesley dividends per share since March 2008:

dateVWIAX dividend
03/25/08 0.572
06/25/08 0.624
09/25/08 0.593
12/17/08 0.650
03/26/09 0.576
06/25/09 0.541
I was looking at VWINX yesterday on yahoo and they show a 6/25 dividend of 0.219.

VWINX: Historical Prices for VANGUARD WELLESLEY INCOME FUND - Yahoo! Finance
Old 08-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I was looking at VWINX yesterday on yahoo and they show a 6/25 dividend of 0.219.

VWINX: Historical Prices for VANGUARD WELLESLEY INCOME FUND - Yahoo! Finance
oops! sorry, I didn't notice you were quoting Admiral shares. Never mind.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
There is nothing magic about balanced funds like Wellsley or Wellington. You can create your own balanced fund at any time by buying separately a bond fund and a stock fund. You are only fooling yourself when you buy something like Wellsley or Welllington.
By "fooling yourself" do you mean that you are paying higher expenses for balancing that you could do yourself with lower fees?

Personally, I love having a balanced fund do the rebalancing for me. Then I can invest and forget about it, just reap the dividends - I don't have think about the investment ever again.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
oops! sorry, I didn't notice you were quoting Admiral shares. Never mind.
No problem! I guess I should have been less lazy and looked up the Investor shares, but I had the info for the Admiral shares in my Excel spreadsheet so I used that.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I don't own Wellesley nor Wellington, but I wouldn't knock them. You might do better, but you could also do a lot worse. Heck, when I get tired of slicin' and dicin', I will join unclemick too (which I hope will be delayed as far as possible, as I am still having fun).

About dividend being cut during this downturn, to be fair one has to judge them against their peer. This being the Great Recession, how can anyone stay immune?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You are only fooling yourself when you buy something like Wellsley or Welllington.
In what way? If you understand the objectives of these funds, understand they are balanced funds (hold both stocks and bonds), understand the expenses of each fund and they meet your objectives as to asset allocation plus provide convenience of a single fund, how is that "fooling yourself"?
Old 08-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

The equities in these balanced funds dropped just as much as equities outside of these balanced funds. If you believe these funds protect you better from equity losses than the same amount of equities in another fund, then you are fooling yourself.

Furthermore, these funds are not tax efficient. Instead of a balanced fund, one can own equities in taxable and fixed income in tax-sheltered. If you own a balanced fund in tax-sheltered you don't get to save money by doing the tax-loss harvesting thing. If you own a balanced fund in taxable, you don't get the tax-deferment on the dividends.

If you have no taxable investments, then a balanced fund is fine, just as a target retirement or life strategy fund is fine.

Often folks buy a balanced fund because they cannot stand the volatility of an equity fund nor the low yields and sometimes losses in a bond fund. They hide the volatility of stocks by mixing with bonds in the same fund. The volatility doesn't go away; it is still there.

So REWahoo is right: If you understand these funds, then you are not fooling yourself. I would venture that many people do not understand these funds.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So REWahoo is right: If you understand these funds, then you are not fooling yourself. I would venture that many people do not understand these funds.
I would imagine that you may be right, though looking at this thread I don't think that people like Audreyh1, yakers, NW-Bound, REWahoo, I, or others who have been posting in this discussion of Wellesley are having a hard time understanding balanced funds in general and Wellesley in particular. I don't think any of us are "fooling ourselves", at least based on the matters discussed in your post.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
.... I don't think any of us are "fooling ourselves", at least based on the matters discussed in your post.
The folks you mentioned did not start this thread with a specific question about Wellington.