Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

VanguardAdvantage and BillPay Going Away?
Old 05-26-2019, 06:02 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

VanguardAdvantage and BillPay Going Away?

I got a letter from Vanguard saying that VanguardAdvantage is being discontinued.

It's my understanding that I will no longer be able to use Vanguard's BillPay.

Is that right?

My system has been to use Vanguard's BillPay for large expenses, such as the monthly credit card payments and my bank's BillPay for other expenses.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2019, 06:58 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Yes, it is right. It was getting so little use that they decided to get rid of it.

https://www.investmentnews.com/artic...gement-service

I wasn't using it but for big bills I just do a special transfer to checking and then pay out of that.... easier for me.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fidelity can be a good alternative if it’s convenient.

I’m in the process of moving all my checking to a Fidelity Brokerage account. The balance is automatically in an MM fund that yields 2%+ and you have all the features of a regular checking account. Well, maybe you can’t write checks. I don’t write checks, so I didn’t bother to see if it’s possible.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:19 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I guess since they never told me about it, I never used it, so it's my fault.

I'll just keep transferring $$$ to my bank which is from where I pay all my bills, except taxes of course.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
Fidelity can be a good alternative if it’s convenient.

I’m in the process of moving all my checking to a Fidelity Brokerage account. The balance is automatically in an MM fund that yields 2%+ and you have all the features of a regular checking account. Well, maybe you can’t write checks. I don’t write checks, so I didn’t bother to see if it’s possible.
You can get checks for a Fidelity brokerage as well as their Cash Management Account. Both accounts can also be used for online billpay.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:55 AM   #6

I got an email from VG on 2/28/2019 telling me they were closing the VanguardAdvantage accounts in July. Here is the Faq on it.

https://vanguard.com/pdf/PVPDFCL_022019.pdf
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:55 AM   #7

I opened a cash management account at Fidelity last week and will give them a try. I really wasn't using my VG Advantage account as a bill paying account, but might give the Fidelity CMA a try. Right now, I use a local bank for all of my bill paying, but it's a little bit of a pain to have to transfer money a couple of times a month to fund it.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #8

Love Fidelity BillPay
Visa, MasterCard, American Express, & Chase bank (Car Loan) all paid from there.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
You can get checks for a Fidelity brokerage as well as their Cash Management Account. Both accounts can also be used for online billpay.

That’s good to know.

I remember looking at the cash management account, but didn’t see any real benefit over that account vs a brokerage account. If I remember correctly, the only difference was the insurance, which is something that doesn’t worry me.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
Love Fidelity BillPay

Visa, MasterCard, American Express, & Chase bank (Car Loan) all paid from there.

I have the money pulled from Fidelity for all my bills. It’s easier for bills that vary month to month, such as credit cards. I’m lazy that way and like to have this automated as much as possible.