Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
Here is how taxation of a variable annuity works:
- If you have a VA and you make withdrawals from it, you are considered to be withdrawing any gain in value first and then the basis (what you paid for it.) You will be charged at your regular tax rate for any withdrawals made from the gain. You will be charged no tax on withdrawals from the basis since you already paid tax on that money.
- If you annuitize the VA, a portion of each monthly check is considered to be gain and a portion to be basis. The insurance company sends you a statement telling you how much of each. You pay tax at your regular rate on the portion which is gain and nothing on the portion which is return of basis.
- If you inherit a VA it does not "step up" as after-tax stocks and mutual funds do. If you inherit one, you will pay tax on all the gain at your regular rates.

friar1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That's good, but I doubt the OP would be eligible to purchase that product, correct?
The OP mentioned "retirement accounts" and as my account is also a tax deferred retirement account I thought the numbers on my TIAA-CREF deferred variable annuity retirement account I get through the state would be of interest. Valic seems to be offered by quite a few universities and states along with TIAA-CREF. If the OP has access to TIAA-CREF I'd go with them. He won't be able to buy exactly what I have unless he works for Massachusetts.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." - Spock
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52
Target AA: 70% equity funds / 28% TIAA-Traditional/ 2% cash
Target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension, rent, and eventually SS
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #23
Originally Posted by DebER View Post
That would be my understanding, but of course I'm no expert. Since I took a lump sum distribution on my father's annuity it put me in a higher tax bracket.
Nobody has mentioned it yet, but if you simply surrender the VA today you'll have a taxable loss. That would go through this year's tax return and reduce your ordinary taxable income.

If you do a 1035 exchange to another annuity, that will defer taxes until you eventually take money out of that contract.

Googling a little, there seems to be an uncertainty about where to report the loss on the 1040. It could be a "Miscellaneous loss" in the itemized deductions, or it could be an investment loss (but not subject to capital gains treatment). The first seems "safer", but the second avoids a 2% exclusion.

I have no knowledge of your current or future tax situation, but it is something to think about.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #24
Was there an insurance component of this VA? Is it possible that the value of the VA is down but insurance guarantees a minimum payout if you annuitize or hold for a period of time or whatever? I'm all for gettting out of it, but not if you can take advantage of insurance to make up that loss.

Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote