Join Early Retirement Today

Variable Withdrawal Rate Studies
Old 02-24-2018, 11:13 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Variable Withdrawal Rate Studies

I follow the Retirement Cafe by email. This week he continues a series on withdrawal methods by reviewing Variable Withdrawals and the studies that have been done on the strategy.

I haven't dug into the links in the article yet, but as always, he provides good research and something to think about.

The Retirement Café: Unraveling Retirement Strategies: Variable Spending from a Volatile Portfolio

- Rita
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In my first full year of retirement, I chose a fixed amount. Going forward, I do believe that if one does wish to follow some formulaic withdrawal strategy (which I do), then a variable strategy could get closer to a real life spending concept.
Choosing which one will be my next research topic. I do like Bob Clyatt's 4/95 strategy so far, although perhaps use 3/95 in the early years.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

variable withdrawal studies

go to the “Bogleheads” website and review the multitude of threads on either “Variable Portfolio Withdrawal” (VPW) or “Guyton-Klinger” methods, among others. It’s also in their “wiki” on the site.

There’s a host of authors that post, or use to post, there: Kitses, Pfau, Swedroe, etc (there’s a list there of suggested reading). LOTS of discussion there
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote