Join Early Retirement Today

Variable Withdrawal Strategies
Old 03-11-2007, 04:22 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Variable Withdrawal Strategies

Has anyone taken a serious look at the Hybrid Withdrawal Strategies listed at Bob's FInanacial website. They are variaation's on the Constant $ + Constant % withdrawal models.

They appear to be geared toward taking some extra in the good years and getting conservative in lean years.

Please comment on the approaches

http://bobsfiles.home.att.net/VariableWithdrawals.html
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Variable Withdrawal Strategies
Old 03-11-2007, 01:05 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I haven't studied each of these strategies but have done my own modeling around variations of Guyton's Capital Preservation and Prosperity Rules.

I look at these variable withdrawal strategies a bit differently then how they are often advertised. Rather than trying to maximize my initial WR, I look at the severity of potential standard of living decreases required to keep a portfolio solvent over an extremely long retirement period (60 years in my case). What I've found is that the worst case scenarios can be quite severe requiring a 40-50% reduction in real spending assuming a 4% initial WR. It goes without saying that lower initial WRs help moderate the magnitude of worst case spending cuts. My own personal opinion based on the modeling I've done is that 4% is too high for very long retirement plans relying entirely on an investment portfolio.

But there is an interesting trade off here. Lower initial WR rates result in a lower initial standard of living with a higher degree of certainty. Higher initial WR rates result in a higher initial standard of living with a lower degree of certainty. At some point, though, I think you get diminishing returns by lowering the initial WR. That is to say, what you gain in certainty is outweighed by the lower standard of living (assuming you've planned appropriately and have the flexibility to make the needed spending reductions if the worst case arises). For me that inflection point is an initial WR around 3%.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Yrs to Go
For me that inflection point is an initial WR around 3%.
Years ago......before Firecalc.....so long ago I did the work in Visicalc on an Apple II!!....... I determined that the amount I could safely withdraw from a portfolio to cover a perpetual retirement was 3%. I wish I still had those spreadsheets!

Regardless, I agree, a person with no other income sources than their portfolio, not wanting to do part time work, not expected an inheritance, etc., would be wise to consider accumulating a portfolio that supports a less than 4% WR for a lengthly retirement.