Join Early Retirement Today

Venting about FIRE
Old 04-23-2019, 04:51 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Venting about FIRE

I worked my tail off since I was 17 doing a military career and as many jobs on the side that I could. I retired in 2018, and was all set to FIRE. HOWEVER, I find that I知 now taking care of more people and spending significantly more money to help others.

To the point that I致e been looking for a job. YUCK

I feel like I failed achieving my dreams , but, then on the same time, I知 glad I can help out family.

Thus far, 2019 has been a horrible year for me financially, I致e depleted my cash on hand by over 50%, which puts my family into a bind if another emergency happens. In theory I went from 4-5 years COH, to about 1-1.5. I知 trying to unload real estate assets, but, they are not moving at all.

Anyways, early retirement is awesome. I知 just frustrated that I知 getting derailed. And I知 here to vent.

P.s. I think when people find out that I知 retired and my wife is a stay at home mom, people have certain expectations of you.
jmp470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2019, 04:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can you provide some more info on who you are supporting and why? It could lead to some advice on perhaps if there are any alternative routes.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:57 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Elderly parents and their house.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:03 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp470 View Post
Elderly parents and their house.
If they cannot afford it on their own, perhaps they need to move.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:04 PM   #5

Quote:
... I致e depleted my cash on hand by over 50%, which puts my family into a bind if another emergency happens.
Thanks for sharing. The second-largest expense item in my budget is allocation to reserves for non-recurring expenses (largest expense item = taxes). I wonder how many FIRE-dreamers adequately plan for such expenses. It's nice of you to help others - sorry for the financial stress.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:10 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
Thanks for sharing. The second-largest expense item in my budget is allocation to reserves for non-recurring expenses (largest expense item = taxes). I wonder how many FIRE-dreamers adequately plan for such expenses. It's nice of you to help others - sorry for the financial stress.
I have a plan to relocate my parents, however, until the house sells, I'm left holding the bag.

I might have underestimated my cash requirements, based on what is happening now.

I guess its back to the grind for more pain
Old 04-23-2019, 05:14 PM   #7
gone traveling

Sorry to hear about your frustrations but it's really special and important that you are helping your family. I FIRE'D late last year at age 51. The last 6 months were the toughest but most rewarding time of my life. I was a caregiver to my father at home who battled COPD for the last several years. He's in a better place now and he is resting in peace. I miss you, Pa.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:15 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
Sorry to hear about your frustrations but it's really special and important that you are helping your family. I FIRE'D late last year at age 51. The last 6 months were the toughest but most rewarding time of my life. I was a caregiver to my father at home who battled COPD for the last several years. He's in a better place now and he is resting in peace. I miss you, Pa.

I strongly dislike that I'm looking for a job. But, on the same time, I believe my priorities are correct. Hence the venting
Old 04-23-2019, 05:22 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I strongly dislike that I'm looking for a job. But, on the same time, I believe my priorities are correct. Hence the venting
A lot of very high quality people on this board. It is good to read about these behaviors.

Congratulations to you.

Ha
Old 04-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #10

Quote:
P.s. I think when people find out that I知 retired and my wife is a stay at home mom, people have certain expectations of you.
I can relate to this. I've been a SAHM throughout my 26 year marriage. I had new neighbors try to use me as an unpaid babysitter for their 3 kids, even after I became pregnant with my second child and my first child was still under 2. It didn't start out that way. It progressed in an underhanded way. I had to put a stop to it.

I became a partial caregiver to my grandmother not long after that. I loved her dearly and she'd done so much for me. She'd practically raised me. It didn't occur to me to say no. It was manageable at first, just over the weekend at our house. Then it became 3 days, then 4 days. She was spending more time at our house than her son's house. He and his wife started refusing to take her to needed appointments, etc. When I objected to this, I was told that since I didn't work and they did, etc. Not work? Maybe not for pay, but I had a 3 year old and an infant.

People don't have a right to expect anything of you, just because they're working and you're not, or because you have more money than they do. Period.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
If they cannot afford it on their own, perhaps they need to move.
+1

It seems as though there are no shortage of people who get roped into supporting their elderly parents, as evidenced by another recent thread. I'm all for helping within reason, but not to the detriment of one's own financial well-being and peace of mind.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:37 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thus far, 2019 has been a horrible year for me financially, I’ve depleted my cash on hand by over 50%, which puts my family into a bind if another emergency happens. In theory I went from 4-5 years COH, to about 1-1.5. I’m trying to unload real estate assets, but, they are not moving at all.
jmp, I see you're trying to unload real estate assets...which leads me to wonder if this is a financial trouble requiring you get a job, or more a liquidity challenge. If the latter, you might consider borrowing/setting up a line of credit against the real estate to serve as a backstop against the potential impact of another emergency.

PS. It's good to vent; and like others have commented, it's good that you're able and willing to help your family at a time that they need it.
Nature Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sometimes Fate just slips it to us for no reason
Old 04-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #13

Sometimes Fate just slips it to us for no reason

Vent away! We're here to listen. Go ahead and scream, curse, punch the sofa, and just release all your anger like your very own Trinity atomic test. Get it all out until you're empty.

Then, when you're sweating and panting with exhaustion, with your last ounce of strength reach around and pat yourself on the back for being such a good son.

There's a concurrent thread going on about how hiking in the wilderness helps us master painful feelings. Consider it. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:06 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Lover View Post
jmp, I see you're trying to unload real estate assets...which leads me to wonder if this is a financial trouble requiring you get a job, or more a liquidity challenge. If the latter, you might consider borrowing/setting up a line of credit against the real estate to serve as a backstop against the potential impact of another emergency.

PS. It's good to vent; and like others have commented, it's good that you're able and willing to help your family at a time that they need it.
Thanks for the reply. I never thought about setting up a line of credit on the asset. Right now I'm good. But, I don't like being tight, its a suffocating feeling.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Very understandable. It's great that you are in financial shape to be able to help. I'd do it too. Then I'd want to vent somewhere too. Good luck with things.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:54 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

You are a good son. Your parents and you should be proud.
GoodWishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I never thought about setting up a line of credit on the asset. Right now I'm good. But, I don't like being tight, its a suffocating feeling.
Not enough info on the home for sale to really help, but...
Most homes do not sell either due to price (too high) or condition (too dated, messy, etc.).

If listed with a Realtor, please ask him/her to be brutally honest about your pricing and condition. Drop the price 5%? Paint the interior a more neutral shade?

Also, see if the Realtor can arrange to have other agents in the office/other offices stop by and take a quick look.

Years ago, when working with a large real estate office, we would sometimes host a "broker's open" for slow moving homes, on weekday. The listing Realtor/seller would provide a modest lunch (BBQ, burgers, brats, Chic-fil-A) and invite other offices to munch and review the listing -providing ballots for the Realtors to fill out and later give away a few gas gift cards in a drawing. Reviews were anonymous and honest. Might work.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:35 AM   #18

I know people whose parents left them a bundle of cash. I used to envy them a lot. On the other hand, I know people who are still working as they approach 70, in order to help take care of their parents.
I now realize how lucky I was that even if they couldn't leave me a bundle of cash, mine were at least able to take care of themselves financially and not be a burden to their children.

I was talking to an Asian woman the other day about an aging uncle of mine and she asked if he'd considered moving in with his kids. I said no, he's got plenty of cash to hire help, and still able to move around well enough. This woman told me that our culture (I'm a white American, 4th generation immigrant) is very different from her Asian culture. She's Vietnamese. She said in her culture aging parents fully expect to be taken care of by their children. There is no shame in it, and it would be deeply shameful not to step up to the plate when that time comes. She actually gave up her business on the West Coast to start a new business on the East Coast so she could be more active in the care of her aging parents.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:03 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I am providing financial help to my mother as well. I find it extremely important to set clear boundaries in these situations. I made it clear to her that I would help within reason relative to my means (it helps her manage her expectations). I will not deprive myself, compromise my long term financial situation, or give up FIRE to help her. I am glad to be in a position to provide some financial relief to others (I did build a cushion to help others into my FIRE plan), but if I start feeling resentful about it then I know that my boundaries have been violated.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:58 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I know people whose parents left them a bundle of cash. I used to envy them a lot. On the other hand, I know people who are still working as they approach 70, in order to help take care of their parents.
I now realize how lucky I was that even if they couldn't leave me a bundle of cash, mine were at least able to take care of themselves financially and not be a burden to their children.

I was talking to an Asian woman the other day about an aging uncle of mine and she asked if he'd considered moving in with his kids. I said no, he's got plenty of cash to hire help, and still able to move around well enough. This woman told me that our culture (I'm a white American, 4th generation immigrant) is very different from her Asian culture. She's Vietnamese. She said in her culture aging parents fully expect to be taken care of by their children. There is no shame in it, and it would be deeply shameful not to step up to the plate when that time comes. She actually gave up her business on the West Coast to start a new business on the East Coast so she could be more active in the care of her aging parents.
+1 on Asian children taking care of their elderly parents. I at times donate items to nursing homes/ assisted living facilities over the few years. Don't recall seeing any Asian residents in the facilities. In my travels throughout the world I get a more rounded perspective and an eye opener in how different cultures take care of their elderly and their grit, determination and attitudes towards this subject matter.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote