Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In Texas, the 214 is not a public record, also it can be registered for free, and unlimited copies for free.

"Under Texas State law, Local Government Code Sec. 0192.002, the County Clerk in each County is required to record, free of charge, the official discharge of each veteran who served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America. This free service is very important as it provides veterans with a ready source from which they can obtain a certified copy of their discharge whenever it is needed."

A little clarification on public record.

"The State of Texas has corrected this situation by passing bill HB No. 545 that goes into effect on September 1, 2003. This bill requires county clerks to make all DD 214s registered after September 1. 2003. confidential for 75 years."

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #42

Just got off the phone with SS agent. Short answer, the estimate that the SS site gave me was spot on what she quoted. She said the computer showed the military adjustment was in the calculations.

Now here is another catch for those waiting to take SS. This year there was no increase in Medicare payment if it came out of your SS check. (about $95) but if you were delaying SS and did not have a check to take it out of it went up to about $110. When you start SS, it does not revert! It stays at $110!

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #43
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Now here is another catch for those waiting to take SS. This year there was no increase in Medicare payment if it came out of your SS check. (about $95) but if you were delaying SS and did not have a check to take it out of it went up to about $110. When you start SS, it does not revert! It stays at $110!
I'm delaying SS till age 70 (about 7.5 years from now). Can I quote you if it goes higher than $110 at that time?
Old 05-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Just got off the phone with SS agent. Short answer, the estimate that the SS site gave me was spot on what she quoted. She said the computer showed the military adjustment was in the calculations.
Well yesterday my nearest SS office could not give me an estimate to include military adjusttment. A W-2 from 1986 compared to my 2010 Social Security Statement shows no adjustment for military service. The SS computer did show I had military service for the years I was in. They confirmed my earnings and payment estimates do not reflect my military service.

How do your tax records compare with your SS statement? Given there has been differing information from different SS offices I am not taking their word for it that it will be automatic. My suspicion is there are a lot of veterans out there who are being short changed. I do not believe in government efficiency.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I certainly agree that there seems to be a lack of consistency in what we hear from various SS bureaucrats.

Shotgunner, does the benefit estimate you work up on their website agree with the estimate they send you in the mail each year?

I see enough of a disagreement in mine to account for the difference, and that is backed up by what I was told at the local office.

My guess is that the website calculator does not give the military service correction, but the annual estimate they send you includes it.

That would seem to make both stories correct. The "automatically included" (as I was told here) story, and the "not accounted for until you apply" story that you were told.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I certainly agree that there seems to be a lack of consistency in what we hear from various SS bureaucrats.

Shotgunner, does the benefit estimate you work up on their website agree with the estimate they send you in the mail each year?
I have not used the calculator on their website so I have not compared my annual mailed estimate with it. I guess I will try it when I have some time. It seems to me SS could make this much more clear by putting a statement on a veteran's mailed estimate that additional earnings credit has been applied to calculate estimated payments OR show the adjustments to earnings for each year of military service. It makes no sense to me they don't verify this additional benefit in some manner.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #47
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
I have not used the calculator on their website so I have not compared my annual mailed estimate with it. I guess I will try it when I have some time.
Here's the one I use; it uses your actual SS record:

Benefits Calculators: About the Social Security Retirement Estimator

I retired at age 59, so I did not have earnings till age 62 to plug in the prior year's (since they update the records later in the year).

When I compared my age 62 benefit that I received in the mail last October and ran the report in January (my 62nd birthday) it matched the age 62 benefit exactly to the dollar. I put "0" dollars in the field for prior year's earnings, which actually was my situation.

Since January, I've run it a couple of times, and now the age 62 rate is being increased a few dollars each month, if I would decide to claim today. Makes sense since it has to advance to my FRA amount at age 66, and then from that age till age 70, when I will claim SS.

So it does seem that it is working and uses the same code as the statement you receive in the mail. Of course, with this thread it seems that I'll get a few extra dollars at age 70, if I live that long (hey, I'm delaying for the benefit of my DW, so it really dosen't matter)...
Old 05-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #48

Rescume,
Nope, your results may very. It may be that this only happened because there was no increase in Medicare for those collecting SS. It seemed odd to me that on one hand the government is trying to encourage people to take SS later by offering a premium, and at the same time penalizing them because there is no SS check to pay Medicare out of.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:14 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

The recording of the DD214 at your county court house, was part of the separation seminar the navy gave back in the day. There had been a fire at a records repository sometime during that era, and I guess there was some paranoia. We were lead to believe that our personal copy of our DD214 would be hard to replace, and the only way to insure against it's loss was to record it at the court house.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:28 AM   #50
gone traveling

Quote:
It seemed odd to me that on one hand the government is trying to encourage people to take SS later by offering a premium, and at the same time penalizing them because there is no SS check to pay Medicare out of.
Lucky, that's not a concern of mine. Since I am claiming spousal benefits against my DW when she takes SS at her FRA age of 66 (we're the same age), I'll just pay it out of there.

Between age 65 (when Medicare starts) and age 66 (when I get SS income compliments of my DW), the contributation to my former company's medical plan will drop greatly, and will more than cover the Part B contribution at that time.

Life is good...
Old 05-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The additional $1200 was not reported in my SS record of earnings. I got the impression that it gets added once you apply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
From the other posts here, I'm just wondering if the military credit isn't already figured into the estimate they send out every year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
My guess is that the website calculator does not give the military service correction, but the annual estimate they send you includes it.
For a decade or so I was one of those anal-retentive careful guys who compared the mailed statements to the online calculator. (Navy "lost" a data tape in the late 1990s and actually failed to report earnings for about 30% of the active-duty folks. I caught it on spouse's mailed statement and started a decade of double-checking their SS records.) I stopped doing it around 2007.

Around 2001 or 2002, or perhaps a few months after the program ended, the mailed statements still only showed reported (W-2) earnings without the military credits. However the estimated annual amount of SS benefits began to include the effect of the additional military credits. I noticed that I still had to add the military credits to the online calculator.

With only 24 years of earnings history, the credits don't make much of a difference.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote