VG popup??

BOBOT

Recycles dryer sheets
For the last week when I go to the VG site I first get this strange pop-up

logo.gif
powered_by_WeCare.png
Your purchase at Vanguard DOES NOT SUPPORT SAVE THE CHILDREN.

This is before I log on. Anybody else seeing this?

No, and if you use adblocking software neither will you.

Doh, forgot that I had for some reason chosen to allow pop-ups for VG in Firefox.
Fixed that, all is well.
Thanks REW

Nope, I don't get that and I don't have pop-ups blocked.

I suggest your run a malware scan if you are using Windows.

Nope, I don't get that and I don't have pop-ups blocked.

I suggest your run a malware scan if you are using Windows.
+1
I turned off my ad-blocker and went to VG - no pop ups or ads showed up.

I have to endure that as well, and I have ad block. If those people think those annoying spam will get them any sympathy or contribution, they got another think coming.

Why would VG put an ad like that on their site? Sounds like malware to me.

No ads for me. You probably have a virus on your pc.
I schedule a scan by AVG every other day and just now again with Malwarebytes, there is no malware detected in my computer. I encounter those pop-ups when visiting VG.

I schedule a scan by AVG every other day and just now again with Malwarebytes, there is no malware detected in my computer. I encounter those pop-ups when visiting VG.

Same here. Pop-up mentioned in original post still shows up, but not every time.
I'll call VG tech support Monday.

BOBOT, are you typing in VG's URL to go to their site, or are you using a bookmark of yours instead?

I ALWAYS type in the URL of any financial site directly into the browser's address window, never using bookmarks nor (gack!) links in emails or anywhere else. And not using a search engines help, nor any kind of auto-complete.

I have never seen anything on VG other than VG. When I type in their URL, I immediately get a https: connection with them. This is all before logging in.

BOBOT, are you typing in VG's URL to go to their site, or are you using a bookmark of yours instead?

I ALWAYS type in the URL of any financial site directly into the browser's address window, never using bookmarks nor (gack!) links in emails or anywhere else. And not using a search engines help, nor any kind of auto-complete.

I have never seen anything on VG other than VG. When I type in their URL, I immediately get a https: connection with them. This is all before logging in.

I typically use a bookmark to the login page, and LastPass logs me in after I type my user name. The pop-up appears before I log in.
What's strange is that it doesn't happen every time.
I guess I don't understand why using a bookmark would contribute to the problem.
BTW I called VG this a.m. & they don't know anything about this.

A bookmark can be corrupted. A bookmark also sits in your PC, where any virusware can target it. Also, by using a bookmark to a log-in page, you set yourself up for a look-alike web crook, who expects to snatch your user ID and password. Typing in the web site's home page, then navigating to log-in, allows you to see more of the web site you expect, BEFORE starting the log-in process.

I suspect you have spyware. In fact, VG has pretty good security info:

Vanguard.com->go to the personal investors site->stay safe online-> this opens up the Security Center. Worthwhile topics to read. Look at Secure Your Computer to read about spyware.

A bookmark can be corrupted. A bookmark also sits in your PC, where any virusware can target it. Also, by using a bookmark to a log-in page, you set yourself up for a look-alike web crook, who expects to snatch your user ID and password. ...
It happens that my bookmark for the VG site goes to a VG page that gives info on one of their funds. From there I can just click on "LOG ON" in the upper right.

So that is one level of protection for a minor security issue. Then when one types in the login, one see's an image and phrase that they have preselected for the password page. You just have to train yourself to not put in the password if you do not see that image.

Update

Finally tracked down this bugger. It was caused by a Firefox add-on extension from something called We-Care.com. It seems to be a benign entity, but I have no idea how it got added. Anyway, removed it & problem solved.

If you experience this or something similar go to Tools/Add-ons/Extensions & look for the troublemaker.
This for Firefox; I imagine IE or Chrome have something like it.

Finally tracked down this bugger. It was caused by a Firefox add-on extension from something called We-Care.com. It seems to be a benign entity, but I have no idea how it got added. Anyway, removed it & problem solved.

If you experience this or something similar go to Tools/Add-ons/Extensions & look for the troublemaker.
This for Firefox; I imagine IE or Chrome have something like it.
That is the problem. How dare those people put that add-on onto your computer without permission?

Back
Top Bottom