VG Wellesley and BP

Masquernom

Full time employment: Posting here.
I was thinking about moving some funds to VG Wellesley this morning and happened to visit the web site to see what the yield was currently. While there I noticed the largest stock holding for Wellesley is BP. BP looks to be dropping a lot due to the gulf spill.

Think I'll wait a few days before moving cash in Wellesley. Anyone else know the impact of this situation on the fund?

At the end of the 1Q BP stock was 1.7% of Wellesley. I read that to mean if BP went to zero (unlikely), Wellesley's haircut would be limited to that amount.

Guess I should have dug deeper. If it's 1.7%, I assume that's the percentage of the stock portion only? Stocks are about 35% of total, so BP would only be about 0.6% of total fund then. Fairly small impact even if it went to zero as you mentioned. Guess I'll still wait till tomorrow. Hopefully a big part of the BP drop will be today.

Look again. Portfolio holdings is as of end of March. Top ten holdings is as of end of April and BP was then at number 7.

At the end of March, BP was 1.7% of VWINX, which then had a price of 20.75, while BP's price was 57. Today BP is trading at 38, so it has dropped 33%. The effect on the price of VWINX since March 31 is - 0.33 x 0.017 x 20.75 = - 0.12 (-12 cents)

Back
Top Bottom