Join Early Retirement Today

Vgenx
Old 03-21-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Vgenx

I have been in Vanguard's Energy fund for fifteen years . Is it now time to sell some to lock in my gains ? and would you hold onto this fund in today's market ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rebalance if it has grown past your AA percentage. Otherwise I would hang on to it. I can't see energy getting wildly cheap with all the developing countries coming on line. This could be the start of a good dip in prices, but who knows? One big news event and it could be back up again.

Dan
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
I can't see energy getting wildly cheap with all the developing countries coming on line.
I'm holding onto mine for this simple reason, to me there is no reason to believe the demand side will change soon. And I like VGENX because it the lowest correlation holding in my AA relative to other holdings.

And if you've held it for 15 years, congratulations, you've done very well...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I

And if you've held it for 15 years, congratulations, you've done very well...
Thank you ! That and Vanguard's health care fund have been very good to me .
Old 03-21-2008, 09:33 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

i have VGENX also, for about 8 yrs. it's a Roth IRA account. nice nice nice.

i vote HOLD

did you know it takes $25K to start an account in VGENX now? it was originally only $3K.

anyone know when it changed?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Rebalance if it has grown past your AA percentage. Otherwise I would hang on to it. I can't see energy getting wildly cheap with all the developing countries coming on line. This could be the start of a good dip in prices, but who knows? One big news event and it could be back up again.

Dan
I wish I had VGENX! I am prohibited from holding it, though, for work-related reasons.

I agree completely with Dan, above. No harm in rebalancing.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Thank you ! That and Vanguard's health care fund have been very good to me .
I have held Vg Health Care for a very long time, but I just noticed that I could sell it for a tax loss. This is because it has been tax inefficient and paid out distributions. With the distributions re-invested, my cost basis is higher than the current value even if that value is more than the money I put into it. Check it out. I have been fooled.

By the same token, maybe your VGENX is in the same situation. By selling, you would not lock in gains, but would lock in losses (which btw, I'm all for tax-loss harvesting)
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I have held Vg Health Care for a very long time, but I just noticed that I could sell it for a tax loss. This is because it has been tax inefficient and paid out distributions. With the distributions re-invested, my cost basis is higher than the current value even if that value is more than the money I put into it. Check it out. I have been fooled.

By the same token, maybe your VGENX is in the same situation. By selling, you would not lock in gains, but would lock in losses (which btw, I'm all for tax-loss harvesting)

Thanks for the interesting information .
Old 03-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I manage an all-fund/index account for my FIL that I manage for return and safety, with an outright intention of diversifying away from his other holdings (which are overwhelmingly equities). As commodities and non-USD bonds made the moonshot in the past month, I have been steadily selling down these exposures. However, they are now down to about 15% of the account each and I don't plan on selling any more. Why? No telling how far the USD could drop or how high commodities could go, so even though I am decidedly less enthusiastic about these asset classes right now, I would not want to leave them out of the mix.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

[quote=brewer12345;632048. Why? No telling how far the USD could drop or how high commodities could go, so even though I am decidedly less enthusiastic about these asset classes right now, I would not want to leave them out of the mix.[/quote]

Thanks , I've trimmed my account a little but the rest I'm going to hold since a chunk of it is in an IRA I will not be using for years .
Old 03-22-2008, 04:08 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I thought about owning it... missed opportunity. But I am widely diversified so I do own it in that way.

I have stayed out of the sectors... although, I think they can be managed effectively. This is an area where ETFs make sense to me. If I owned sectors, it would be with the intent of buying and selling.

I am a bit of a contrarian, so I would look at sectors that are out of favor. Investors Business daily provides some good information to help one keep track of this type of strategy.

However, I would only us a limited amount of money to play the sector game.

IMHO it is not a buy and hold strategy... it is a buy low/sell high with a finite time horizon and you will watch, monitor, and act... you need to have a plan but also use judgement. if you are not disciplined... stay away from it... stick with broad diversification.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post

IMHO it is not a buy and hold strategy... it is a buy low/sell high with a finite time horizon and you will watch, monitor, and act... you need to have a plan but also use judgement. if you are not disciplined... stay away from it... stick with broad diversification.

I bed to differ with you . I have owned Vanguard Energy and Vanguard Health Care almost since they started in 1984 and Energy has averaged 15.39% and Health Care has averaged 18.13 % . I'd say they were great buy and hold investments .