Join Early Retirement Today

VGTSX now has Admiral Shares
Old 11-29-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

VGTSX now has Admiral Shares

Quote:
Effective today, Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund offers lower-cost Admiral Shares™ for clients who invest at least $10,000 in the fund. The expense ratio for the new shares is 0.20%, which is considerably lower than the already low 0.32% expense ratio of the fund's Investor Shares.
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/ins...ent-A-11292010

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post

Thanks for the info.

Now I have a full house -- Total Bond, Total Stock and Total Int'l Stock

Old 11-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Good to know... just moved mine...
Old 11-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #4

+1 Thanks!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks! I figured it was going to happen soon since I have had a "Convert to Admiral Shares" link on my account for over a week (even though it said I had no funds eligible to convert when I tried to do the conversion).
Old 11-29-2010, 05:54 PM   #6

Thanks for the heads-up. Just converted ours.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

I wish Vanguard offers admiral shares for the FTSE All-World ex-US Index (VFWIX)
Old 11-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I converted (exchanged) both my Roth and IRA today online. A drop in ER from .32 to .20 is huge, even for VG.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #9

excellent!
Old 12-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Arrggghhh I converted two of our accounts but it won't let me convert the holding in my wife's 403(b).

I have been resisting rolling it over to a tIRA because I wanted to do a Roth conversion of her small tIRA ($20k), *then* do the rollover on her $250K 403(b). The reason is most of her tIRA is after tax money. May have to abandon that strategy now. Will call my Flagship rep tomorrow and get the skinny on pros and cons.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I have over 10K in that fund in an HSA account. Do you think that will make a difference?
Old 12-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I have over 10K in that fund in an HSA account. Do you think that will make a difference?
As far as I know, all the VG shares in my HSA are already Admiral shares (regardless of how many you own). You may already have Admiral.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
As far as I know, all the VG shares in my HSA are already Admiral shares (regardless of how many you own). You may already have Admiral.
I've read that Vanguard recently starting converting qualified account balances into Admiral shares even when the client didn't specifically request it, so it's possible that some people have been converted and don't know it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I've read that Vanguard recently starting converting qualified account balances into Admiral shares even when the client didn't specifically request it, so it's possible that some people have been converted and don't know it.
Yes: They did that for me, after sending me a letter notifying me of such upcoming change.

I can't complain...
Old 12-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Good stuff. I was thinking to just keep in the individual Europe/Pacific/Emerging funds since the cost is very slightly lower (.01 if in admiral for all), but realized that any re-balancing in and out of Emerging would hit a transaction fee. So I think I'm just going to bite the fee once and convert all next time I rebalance. I'm actually pretty good right now, but when I roll over my 401K with it's intl funds it'll need to change.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Vanguard recently starting converting qualified account balances into Admiral shares even when the client didn't specifically request it
Not only will they convert to Admiral without your requesting it, but you can't prevent the conversion to Admiral even if you want to. (I tried it, on an acct that I know will fall below $10k regularly. No dice.)
Old 12-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just curious = what do they do if Admiral Shares account falls under the min? Do they convert it to a normal (sailor?) account? Does it matter if it went under because of withdraw versus market performance?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I've had it fall below due to market, and maybe even withdrawals, and they kept it in Admiral. If it's way below I think they warned me, and then converted back. Close enough they might've kept in Admiral. It might just be that they only occasionally convert up or down, or it might be that they are more lenient before converting down, but you can't just temporarily peak and convert into admiral and stay there forever if you fall back lower and stay there.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Wow...this just happened to DW's IRA. I got the statements and it said "transaction -XXX shares..... Balance=$0" and I nearly fainted. My first thought was identity theft. Then I saw the next page was a new account with matching balance and "Welcome to Admiral Shares". I barely noticed the post on here about the threshold being lowered because I assumed it not would affect us. This is tertiary account so I don't pay much attention to it and I guess I missed any advance warnings. Very nice of Vanguard to move to the lower expense funds automatically.