Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I have a fancy Chase Sapphire Visa card. It has a thin metal sheet wedged between the plastic faces. Makes the card noticeably heavy and has brought occasionally awkward attention to me. Cashier at Pier 1 imports put me in the category of Lee Ann Rimes and some other quasi famous person when she mentioned fancy credit cards. And later at a Taco Bell, the employees were all admiring my credit card, and I think I had a few young ladies almost propose to me because they thought I was rich. They were saying things like "wow, how does someone get one of these cards? You must have a lot of money, huh?". Little did they know that Chase paid me $1000 to sign up for that credit card.
Maybe I will have to see if I can find mine.... I never called to activate them when they sent them because the rewards were not as good as my other ones I had... I know they are somewhere in the house....

PS... I did get pissed off because the card I did have before was one of my best reward cards...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Actually, I saw an ad somewhere (may have been Discover) where you can upload your own picture and have it printed on your card. I'll have to check and see if that's free too.
It is Cap One...

Old 10-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a fancy Chase Sapphire Visa card. It has a thin metal sheet wedged between the plastic faces. Makes the card noticeably heavy and has brought occasionally awkward attention to me.
By coincidence, I received an invitation for one of these in the mail today.
I was casually reading it out of curiosity when something jumped out at me. The letter was addressed to someone else, who lives about a mile away. The application was pre-filled out in that same person's name. But the envelope it all came in was addressed correctly to me.

With that kind of inattention to detail, I wonder how well they handle the accounts.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Been there and done that. I can't remember which bank it was, but many years ago we had our pictures on our Visa cards, apparently to decrease fraud as signatures were never checked. A few months after we got our picture id CC's supermarkets introduced those hands-off credit card swipers where you swipe your own card and the cashier never gets to see your card or your photo
Sorry, I wasn't clear. You can upload any picture you want (kid's drawing, pet, DW in her scanties, etc) and they'll put that on the card. I remember the one's with your photo on it for security. Yeah, that didn't work out so well. And according to Texas Proud it's Capital One, which I also have.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
PS... I did get pissed off because the card I did have before was one of my best reward cards...
Chase converted me from Cash Rewards (or something like that) with 5% back on gas/groceries/drug store, to Freedom card, which is 5% back on random categories that change every 3 months. After dealing with this for a few months, I think the 5% back on changing categories is too cumbersome to manage every quarter for the relatively modest rewards (since I can get 2% back automatically on other cards).

Although I did get a funny reaction out of a cashier at the chinese restaurant this weekend when she saw my Freedom card with a sticker that said "Restaurants Only" taped to the face of my card. We had a little conversation about credit cards and how to get 5% back on some stuff.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Chase converted me from Cash Rewards (or something like that) with 5% back on gas/groceries/drug store, to Freedom card, which is 5% back on random categories that change every 3 months. After dealing with this for a few months, I think the 5% back on changing categories is too cumbersome to manage every quarter for the relatively modest rewards (since I can get 2% back automatically on other cards).

Although I did get a funny reaction out of a cashier at the chinese restaurant this weekend when she saw my Freedom card with a sticker that said "Restaurants Only" taped to the face of my card. We had a little conversation about credit cards and how to get 5% back on some stuff.

Yes, I got coverted to the Freedom Card also... from the 5% cash back Rewards...

Now, I already HAD a Freedom card that gives 3% cash back on five of your highest spending categories (3 if you do not have an account) for the month... So now I have TWO Freedom cards that have different reward programs... the only difference is one is Visa the other Mastercard..

The problem that I have with my wife is she can not remember which Freedom card to use at which place... and she will not let me put a sticker on her card ...

I completely agree.... the reward program is crap cumbersome... like the Discover card program... if you fail to 'sign up' for the rewards you do not get them... the only good think I can say is that their amount you can spend is much higher than Discover...

Still, I will be jumping through the hoops to get that money.... it does add up if you do it right...
Old 11-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
Remember when the Gold card was the status symbol? Then came platinum, and now black and sapphire. I wonder when diamond and kryptonite cards become the "it" cards?
I'm waiting for the plutonium card.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Yes, I got coverted to the Freedom Card also... from the 5% cash back Rewards...

Now, I already HAD a Freedom card that gives 3% cash back on five of your highest spending categories (3 if you do not have an account) for the month... So now I have TWO Freedom cards that have different reward programs... the only difference is one is Visa the other Mastercard..

The problem that I have with my wife is she can not remember which Freedom card to use at which place... and she will not let me put a sticker on her card ...

I completely agree.... the reward program is crap cumbersome... like the Discover card program... if you fail to 'sign up' for the rewards you do not get them... the only good think I can say is that their amount you can spend is much higher than Discover...

Still, I will be jumping through the hoops to get that money.... it does add up if you do it right...
I believe we have 5 or 6 different Freedom cards now, but all under the Ultimate Rewards (tm) program with the same 5% back in certain categories. Also annoying is the opt in requirement each quarter.

DW has issues with the requirement to know which card to use, but she is ok with the stickers on the cards. She doesn't have a problem slumming it with me!