Join Early Retirement Today

Visiting Relatives
Old 07-24-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Visiting Relatives

When you live a LBYM lifestyle, there are always people who make derogatory comments on your lifestyle. When it is an aquaintance or someone you thought was a good friend, it's pretty easy to deal with.

I find it harder to cope with relatives who make these types of remarks, especially relatives who want to stay in your apartment (which lacks central air conditioning during a summer heat wave) rather than spend the money for a hotel. I have always felt that you can't say no to a family memer who requests temporary lodging, sorta of an unwritten code of family obligations. But after spending a week cleaning up the apartment, washing sheets/towels, and getting extra groceries, I don't want to hear someone ask "When are you going to move out of THIS apartment", "You're TOO cheap to get cable?", etc.

The obvious response to point out that you have XXX dollars in the bank because you LBYM , but I don't like talking/bragging about my net worth. It's also not a good long-term approach to make nasty comments back to relatives. I don't feel I should be required to explain the rationale for my financial decisions to a relative I see once or twice a year. Does anyone have any suggestions for gracefully dealing with this type of situation?
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My relatives are offered the choice between a spot on the couch in my house and the
Motel 6 right up the street. My 3 dogs with full house access and my extremely unusual
hours have managed to keep my record of no house guests clean since 1981.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:07 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
When you live a LBYM lifestyle, there are always people who make derogatory comments on your lifestyle. When it is an aquaintance or someone you thought was a good friend, it's pretty easy to deal with.

I find it harder to cope with relatives who make these types of remarks, especially relatives who want to stay in your apartment (which lacks central air conditioning during a summer heat wave) rather than spend the money for a hotel. I have always felt that you can't say no to a family memer who requests temporary lodging, sorta of an unwritten code of family obligations. But after spending a week cleaning up the apartment, washing sheets/towels, and getting extra groceries, I don't want to hear someone ask "When are you going to move out of THIS apartment", "You're TOO cheap to get cable?", etc.

The obvious response to point out that you have XXX dollars in the bank because you LBYM , but I don't like talking/bragging about my net worth. It's also not a good long-term approach to make nasty comments back to relatives. I don't feel I should be required to explain the rationale for my financial decisions to a relative I see once or twice a year. Does anyone have any suggestions for gracefully dealing with this type of situation?
Just keep it light. I haven't had cable for 20 years, and when my relatives ask, I say something innoculous, like: "you know, I thought I would miss it, but I really don't. I guess I found other things to do", and then shrug your shoulders............

The home part is harder, since everyone is an "expert". However, my BIL has rented for 20 years, and can afford a house no problem, but has a GREAT reply:

"I have a problem,I call the landlord, and he fixes it. I'm out of town for a week, and I come home to a mowed lawn. Plus, the money I'm saving not paying property taxes and stuff, I put in investments. And, so far, I don't miss NOT having a house"..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We offer to put them up in a nearby B&B or inexpensive hotel. We explain that our place is not suited to anything other than an overnight stay. So far, they have never accepted our offer. Either they sponge off of someone else, or they pay for the B&B themselves.

(We do welcome overnight stays. We have a guest room.)
Old 07-24-2007, 10:08 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
My relatives are offered the choice between a spot on the couch in my house and the
Motel 6 right up the street. My 3 dogs with full house access and my extremely unusual
hours have managed to keep my record of no house guests clean since 1981.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

"This works for us." For heavens sake don't tell them you have money in the bank. Consider this, if they aren't too comfortable the will move on sooner. If they remark about the lack of cable talk about the value of reading. With respect to the comment about air conditioning tell the truth (sorta), you rarely need it and if it gets to be too much you move to a hotel room (hint, hint).

Stop cleaning up for family member guests, after all they are family. Anyone you agree to house should have clean sheets and towels upon arrival but you don't need to make the bed up...

To keep them moving on, when agreeing to a visit limit it at that time, "My sorority sister is expected so the spare room is spoken for as of x."

If the stay is more than two days put together a neighborhood guide that includes the locations of restaurants they could patronize. Another option would be to hand them a grocery list.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Who has time to turn on the TV when travelling? I get them too tired from site-seeing.

I once overhead a comment about my place. I had invited several relatives over for lunch when they were in town for a wedding. A couple of years later my uncle's grandson was trying to figure out how he is related to me and said something about the stairs that went on forever and other negative comments, so that's the one! Yeah, I do live in a 4th floor walk-up, but unlike "grandson," a 35 year old still living with his mom, I've been on my own since age 17.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I was growing up, we'd all sleep in the living room and open the windows at both ends of the house and put a box fan on if it was really hot out.

a good plan for not having family bug you about not spending money is to just come from a poor family. Granted, it's hard to plan it that way, but it's worked well for me.

Well, that and the fact that everyone is really nice.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:21 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Move to the country, add a couple more dogs to Cycling Investors herd, throw in some cats for the allergic...and voila! no more houseguests!

Sue, we've just become "those people" in our family, too. Don't even respond to the specific jibe, just say that your life suits you just fine. It does tend to hurt your feelings, I'll admit. Being gracious as a hostess is not always met with graciousness in your guests. But just keep being gracious anyway!

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:47 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Get rid of your furniture, get a couple of cats, blast italian music at 1 in the morning, have no food in the fridge except some iced tea and condiments....voila....no guests!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:12 PM   #11

I would have no qualms about refusing to put up with family members that didn't treat me with respect. I don't consider someone being family an unrestricted license to abuse my hospitality.

That said, I have very few family members who would ever be that impolite. I am lucky to have extremely top-notch relatives. I don't associate with the few exceptions. My wife's family is extraordinarily decent too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post

Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
The obvious response to point out that you have XXX dollars in the bank because you LBYM , but I don't like talking/bragging about my net worth. It's also not a good long-term approach to make nasty comments back to relatives.
What would be the downside?

Quote:
I don't feel I should be required to explain the rationale for my financial decisions to a relative I see once or twice a year. Does anyone have any suggestions for gracefully dealing with this type of situation?
No.

I assure you I would deal with this ungracefully.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:11 PM   #13

I had one extended family member that likes to use us as a hotel....they usually take us out to eat and bring some beverages so not that bad...but I think they like to stay at our place vs. closer relatives since it is remodeled and nice and clean....as others have said...cat and dog filth might be enough deterrence....
Old 07-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Sell the bed in the spare bedroom and turn it into a gym.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
"You're TOO cheap to get cable?",
And they're too cheap to pay for a hotel room...
If I were to host some family member and they were to complain about the living arrangement in such blatant manner, I would politely suggest they go find other accomodations that suit them better.

My family bugs me all the time about not spending "enough" money. They think I should have a bigger car, a bigger house and go on vacation more often. I say yeah yeah yeah and I just ignore them. Quite frankly, the way I decide to spend my money is none of their business.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:22 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

We just stayed at a friends house for four nights at no change. I didn't complain when they didn't turn on the A/C or that they had two dogs who were attention hounds or that their cable was on the fritz because I know that I was a guest. We bought them some stuff they like (chocolate chip cookies) and made them promise to stay with us when they were in town.

You just need a better trained house guest.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #17

Thankfully, my Dad set the precedence many years ago by informing my siblings that they and their families were more than welcome to come and visit anytime they wanted to. And they could visit for as many days as they wanted to. However, he also informed them that he expected them to vacate by the time the 10 o'clock news came on, because that was his time to wind down and prepare for a nice peaceful night's sleep, and he really didn't care to see them before at least mid-morning so he could enjoy some peace and quiet.

When they were younger and just starting careers and families, he would pay for the hotel for them. When they were better established, he would book the hotel and use his CC to 'hold' the reservation, but they were responsible for pay the hotel for their stay there.

I think they were a little pissed off at first, because they wanted to stay at the house. But as time went on they decided that they preferred staying at the hotel, because there was a swimming pool and a jacuzzi, also the hotel prepared breakfast for them.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:22 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I would tell your relatives, that you save that 50-100 bucks a month on cable, so that when you travel you can afford to stay at a hotel, instead of being a inconvenience to someone.
Bigritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
(We do welcome overnight stays. We have a guest room.)
Do you have online reservations yet?

MJ
Old 07-24-2007, 11:34 PM   #20

No problem.

I am currently a homeless vagabond constantly on the lookout for your a temporary home to stay in.

MJ