Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Vonage IPO-How Many First Time Investors?
Old 06-05-2006, 06:49 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Vonage IPO-How Many First Time Investors?

Quote:
Internet phone provider Vonage is being sued in a class action lawsuit on behalf of shareholders who bought stock in the company prior to its flotation.
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39273072,00.htm
"
Curious as to the number of "first time " investors who had visions of the new dot com fortunes to be made.*
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Vonage IPO-How Many First Time Investors?
Old 06-05-2006, 07:33 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Not a first time investor, but I am a Vonage customer and got an offer to buy shares. I took a quick look at the financials and passed. In this day and age you would think that companies know that they have to least be on a path to profitability instead of falling behind even more.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have this funny feeling the voip outfits wont be able to grow as fast as some people think. While the technology can be easy to install, its completely impossible to troubleshoot when you have an ISP, wiring inside and outside your home, a router, a voip box, computers on the wire, some other guys telephone, etc.

All I see from the voip providers as far as customer service goes is to blame the other parts and try to close the ticket.

The technically adept and somewhat adept that have adopted the technology can work through some of the issues. The rest seem to just shrug and wait for the line to come back up on its own. If it doesnt, chuck it and get another one.

Plus, when you're being undermined by far cheaper offerings, its tough to see a PROFITABLE growth into a significant market share vs the telephone companies. And its just a matter of time before the phone companies offer it via naked dsl and cable/satellite companies offer it as a bundled service. It might cost a bit more than current cheap offerings, but at least they own most of the parts and hence the troubleshooting.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I have this funny feeling the voip outfits wont be able to grow as fast as some people think. While the technology can be easy to install, its completely impossible to troubleshoot when you have an ISP, wiring inside and outside your home, a router, a voip box, computers on the wire, some other guys telephone, etc.

All I see from the voip providers as far as customer service goes is to blame the other parts and try to close the ticket.

The technically adept and somewhat adept that have adopted the technology can work through some of the issues. The rest seem to just shrug and wait for the line to come back up on its own. If it doesnt, chuck it and get another one.

Plus, when you're being undermined by far cheaper offerings, its tough to see a PROFITABLE growth into a significant market share vs the telephone companies. And its just a matter of time before the phone companies offer it via naked dsl and cable/satellite companies offer it as a bundled service. It might cost a bit more than current cheap offerings, but at least they own most of the parts and hence the troubleshooting.
Plus, it seems like in a few years it will be almost free. I don't see much room for profit....
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
I don't see much room for profit....
Vonage just did-- from every one of the IPO buyers.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote