Vonage IPO-How Many First Time Investors?

Not a first time investor, but I am a Vonage customer and got an offer to buy shares. I took a quick look at the financials and passed. In this day and age you would think that companies know that they have to least be on a path to profitability instead of falling behind even more.

I have this funny feeling the voip outfits wont be able to grow as fast as some people think. While the technology can be easy to install, its completely impossible to troubleshoot when you have an ISP, wiring inside and outside your home, a router, a voip box, computers on the wire, some other guys telephone, etc.

All I see from the voip providers as far as customer service goes is to blame the other parts and try to close the ticket.

The technically adept and somewhat adept that have adopted the technology can work through some of the issues. The rest seem to just shrug and wait for the line to come back up on its own. If it doesnt, chuck it and get another one.

Plus, when you're being undermined by far cheaper offerings, its tough to see a PROFITABLE growth into a significant market share vs the telephone companies. And its just a matter of time before the phone companies offer it via naked dsl and cable/satellite companies offer it as a bundled service. It might cost a bit more than current cheap offerings, but at least they own most of the parts and hence the troubleshooting.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I have this funny feeling the voip outfits wont be able to grow as fast as some people think. While the technology can be easy to install, its completely impossible to troubleshoot when you have an ISP, wiring inside and outside your home, a router, a voip box, computers on the wire, some other guys telephone, etc.

All I see from the voip providers as far as customer service goes is to blame the other parts and try to close the ticket.

The technically adept and somewhat adept that have adopted the technology can work through some of the issues. The rest seem to just shrug and wait for the line to come back up on its own. If it doesnt, chuck it and get another one.

Plus, when you're being undermined by far cheaper offerings, its tough to see a PROFITABLE growth into a significant market share vs the telephone companies. And its just a matter of time before the phone companies offer it via naked dsl and cable/satellite companies offer it as a bundled service. It might cost a bit more than current cheap offerings, but at least they own most of the parts and hence the troubleshooting.

Plus, it seems like in a few years it will be almost free. I don't see much room for profit....

Back
Top Bottom