Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

marko - I'm surprised that you're so surprised by what you're seeing. Based on reading zillions of your posts, you seem plenty savvy to understand that even small differences in strategies and management style and capability can offset small differences in expense ratios in managed funds. And with index funds, assuming they all do a good job of tracking the index, the expense ratio is everything. But, with index funds expense ratios are generally small and differences border on inconsequential unless you're talking about large amounts of money over long periods of time.

I'm surprised you're chosing examples from Vanguard's managed funds for comparisons instead of their index funds.
Yeah. What I've learned from this is that notably different/better returns based solely on lower expenses are only part of the equation.

Somehow, my expectation was that I could make a pure apples/apples comparison and clearly see how lower expenses would be the main contributor to return results.

In short, I was looking for V funds with near identical makeup to what I currently own that would markedly out perform what I have, based mostly on the oft repeated mantra that low fees are key.

I was looking for some sort of proof that would drive me from my TRP comfort level, sort of a "look! the same fund makeup and a 2% annual difference!".

As discussed, the Vanguard index funds do indeed outperform the TRP index funds, just not by as much as I was expecting.

Living well is the best revenge!
Retired @ 52 in 2005
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
That would be an interesting sort. Find the highest cost S&P 500 index fund, find the lowest.

Nationwide S&P 500 Instl - .42 e/r
Fidelity Spartan 500 Instl - .02 e/r

Now that's a difference.

target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote

fees, trrgx, vtxvx