Join Early Retirement Today

VWINX drop 3.54%
Old 12-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

VWINX drop 3.54%

Happens every year must be yearly dividend or something. gave me a scare at first.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dividends and capital gain distributions went ex-dividend I think.

See https://personal.vanguard.com/us/ins...tions-12092013

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Whoa! One of my MFs goes ex-dividend today, and drops 23%. This is an active fund that has 71% portfolio annual turnover, so realizes a lot of cap gains.

I have had this fund for a long time, and am reluctant to sell it because of my own cap gains. It beat the S&P up to 2008, but since then just tracked it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Dividends and capital gain distributions went ex-dividend I think.

See https://personal.vanguard.com/us/ins...tions-12092013

Thanks for the link.... I was looking all over for it and could not find it...

You would think there would be a BIG link on the front page, the portfolio page... heck, all pages....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Whoa! One of my MFs goes ex-dividend today, and drops 23%. This is an active fund that has 71% portfolio annual turnover, so realizes a lot of cap gains.

I have had this fund for a long time, and am reluctant to sell it because of my own cap gains. It beat the S&P up to 2008, but since then just tracked it.

If they are giving such big cap gains, you might not have much left over... check out your basis, you might be surprised...
Old 12-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

It's true that I have been paying some taxes all along for the gain.

However, they do not always have big payouts like this, plus I have had some of these MFs for 25 years.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It's true that I have been paying some taxes all along for the gain.

However, they do not always have big payouts like this, plus I have had some of these MFs for 25 years.

My mom has had one for over 30 years.... I had Fidelity go back and figure out the basis... I was pretty surprised how little gain was there....

IOW, unless the fund is an index or a 'tax advantaged' one like an index and hold stocks for many many years, the gains have to be realized over time...