Join Early Retirement Today

VWINX prospects for the future
Old 12-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

VWINX prospects for the future

I have recently bought some VWINX, but I am concerned going forward in this federal spending free for all. It has held up fairly well considering the recent spike in the 10 year bond rate. Do you think it will underperform longterm, or are we going to be mired in weak economy for many years that will keep long term interest low?

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis
crispus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We have a big chunk of Wellesley Admiral at the moment, and I'm a little concerned at the continuing slow downward trend. Will rebalance after 1/1.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispus View Post
Do you think it will underperform longterm, or are we going to be mired in weak economy for many years that will keep long term interest low?
I expect it will perform better than most 60/40 funds, it has some good stock and bond choices and low expenses. DWs IRA is 65% Wellesey and 35% Star as I felt a bit more equities would be good. That looks like a brilliant decision (I've got plenty of the other kind).
Something will definitely outperform Wellesley, I just don't know what it will be.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:02 AM   #4

In keeping with our competitive nature DW has Wellesley in her ROTH and I have Wellington. Will 35/65 or 65/35 prevail? Who knows. However, it looks like about a 50/50 split combined. Keep with your overall AA ,rebalance etc.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #5

Ok, so bonds are bad, MM isn't paying squat, where do you put it? (balance funds have always been consider a safer investment).
TJ
Old 12-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
Administrator

I have held Wellesley for many years, and I added quite a bit during 2008-2009. Although I did not buy Wellesley to chase yield, I notice that the value of my shares is still more than what I spent on them because I bought so much of it during the market crash. That's nice, although I suppose it really doesn't matter one way or another since I don't plan to sell (other than to rebalance in January). Shares today are around 6% higher in price than they were at the beginning of last January.

(So, I don't yet see any untoward drop in prices though the future may be different. Check my crystal ball for the latest on that: )

I have been enjoying a nice income from Wellesley dividends all this time. Last year my Wellesley (30% of my portfolio) provided over half my dividends.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #7

Vanguard/Vanguard Admiral represent 40% of my funds. Since I bought them for the long haul I am staying put, but if I was a market timer I would sell or reduce my ownership now (before interest rates start to climb).
Old 12-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

So I guess with my messily 5% in Wellesley, I shouldn't worry. You guys have a lot more on the line.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis
crispus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispus View Post
So I guess with my messily 5% in Wellesley, I shouldn't worry.
+1

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote