Join Early Retirement Today

Wacky stuff
Old 11-12-2005, 09:11 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wacky stuff

As I read it, the market yesterday either completely lost its mind or is forecasting higher long-term rates and a steeper yield curve. How did I arrive at this? I watch several fixed rate preferreds and several mortgage REITs, watching for an opening. The fixed rate preferreds sold off, but the mortgage REITs (NLY, MFA, ANH, etc.) all went up 1 to 4%. So maybe the Fed will be backing off soon and LT rates will spike? Plausible, I suppose, but not how I read things. Anyone else?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Wacky stuff
Old 11-12-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Brewer: Ah, yes. Junk going to he## in a handbasket. I've been watching for a steepening of the yield curve for ages. I don't know if this one is real, but I'm semi-prepared either way :.

--Greg

Old 11-12-2005, 09:59 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Here it comes...

Over the last two weeks Navy Federal Credit Union has raised their rate for a 30-year 20% LTV fixed-rate mortgage to 6.125. That's three-quarters of a point since August, and they're usually the last & slowest to raise their rates.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:38 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The thing is, everyone seems to think that ST rates will keep going up, and thus far, LT rates have only gone up enough to barely prevent inversion. At some point, the Fed will stop raising rates. My suspicion is that this happens in the first half of next year. When that happens, a lot of pressure will come off the likes of the mortgage REITs, especially if longer rates continue to move up. I want to be in them by the time that happens, but I think its too early.

I can't understand the current market pricing of risk. For example, take CCRT. This is a subprime credit card lender that lends money to the bottom of the economic barrel. They provide next to no information on what goes on in their receivables portfolio. They use the most impenetrable accounting methods (gain on sale). They almost certainly will be taking a severe beating from the spike in bankruptcy filings. Yet they are trading at 3X book and I estimate 14X earnings (generous for a financial). I can't imagine anything good will result, especially as I compare them to somebody like FMT.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-12-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
The thing is, everyone seems to think that ST rates will keep going up, and thus far, LT rates have only gone up enough to barely prevent inversion. At some point, the Fed will stop raising rates. My suspicion is that this happens in the first half of next year. When that happens, a lot of pressure will come off the likes of the mortgage REITs, especially if longer rates continue to move up. I want to be in them by the time that happens, but I think its too early.
Do you care to elaborate on this a little more for a newb? What are mortgage REIT's? I have a REIT in one of my funds, but I was only in it for the RE boom and because it's returned 10% for over 10 yrs.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
Do you care to elaborate on this a little more for a newb? What are mortgage REIT's? I have a REIT in one of my funds, but I was only in it for the RE boom and because it's returned 10% for over 10 yrs.*
A regular REIT invests in actual physical real estate. I suspect that's what you own. Mortgage REITs borrow money and invest in mortgages or mortgage-backed securities. Some invest in commercial mortgages (like SFI), some make subprime mortgage loans and hold them for income (NEW, NFI, etc.), some make mortgage loans to prime customers (TMA), while others invest in mortgage-backed securities. The ones I mentioned invest in MBS. NLY, MFA, ANH and others do this by borrowing short and lending long. They take on a lot of interest rate risk, but typically make lots of money, although they go through some painful downturns. Others, like TMA, try to hedge their interest rate exposure as tightly as possible. This yields somewhat lower returns, but less risk, assuming they don't mess up the hedging.

- Will Rogers