Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Man View Post
What happens if you live in a state that has state taxes but fly over to a non state tax and withdraw?
The airfare will eat into your earnings.

Kidding aside, taxes are based on your state of residency. What you are proposing won't change your tax liability and might land you in jail for tax evasion.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #42

Quote:
What happens if you live in a state that has state taxes but fly over to a non state tax and withdraw?
I'm pretty sure the taxes are based on your legal residency, not where you withdraw.

Which could still mean that if you live in a no-income-tax state and are contemplating a move to a state where retirement income is taxed, it may be a consideration as to when, whether and how much to take out while you are still clearly and legally a resident of the no-tax state.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

oops! The chain just broke.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #44
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The airfare will eat into your earnings.

Kidding aside, taxes are based on your state of residency. What you are proposing won't change your tax liability and might land you in jail for tax evasion.
So I guess if you plan to retire in a non state tax then you are good to go.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #45

Quote:
So I guess if you plan to retire in a non state tax then you are good to go.
I don't believe a "non state tax" location exists - at least not in the US. Texas has no state income tax but we pay hefty property and sales taxes. Every state finds a way to get your money...

Old 09-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #46

Quote:
I don't believe a "non state tax" location exists - at least not in the US. Texas has no state income tax but we pay hefty property and sales taxes. Every state finds a way to get your money...
Yep -- but the best we can do is consider our own situation in terms of income, spending and homeownership. Texas is a "good" tax state for someone who has a high income, doesn't spend much and lives in a modest, low-value home. On the other hand, if you have a big, expensive residence and are spendy, it's not so good.

On the other hand, a state like Oregon, with no sales tax but a pretty harsh income tax, is better for folks who spend a lot of their money and don't have much income.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #47
gone traveling

Sorry to take the thread in another direction (retirement taxes), but some states (such as where I live) treat retirement income in a better manner than others:

Kiplinger.com

While we have a state income tax, I don't pay it since my retirement income (SPIA, T/Roth IRA's, etc.) nor my future SS fall under the requirements to report.

We also have a 1% local income tax, but again don't have to report my retirement income...
Old 09-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #48
gone traveling

Quote:
I meant no state income tax.
Which states are tax friendly for 401k/Roth IRA?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #49

You can find out all sorts of good info from previous threads by going up to that Google search box at the top of the page and searching on 'tax friendly states'.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #50
gone traveling

Quote:
You can find out all sorts of good info from previous threads by going up to that Google search box at the top of the page and searching on 'tax friendly states'.
I have heard a lot about Texas Hill Country and how great of this place is for retirement. I believe its close to Austin.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Back on topic, this actually isn't a "crappy" article as someone said above. As it states in the first paragraph, the goal in the study was how to maximize your standard of living over your life, not how to maximize your retirement savings.

So yes, you can live as cheaply as possible, never take vacations, etc for 40 years and then enjoy a glorious retirement for the next 20; or you can live moderately for 40 years and moderately for the next 20. This study focused on the latter, that's all. I don't think either view is wrong, just depends on how you want to pace things in life.