Join Early Retirement Today
Waiting period for 401k
Old 08-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Waiting period for 401k

Why do companies have 401k plans that have 1 year waiting periods for new employees. That is way to long to wait.

That's not a very good selling point for a company looking for talent.

JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
I haven't heard about one of those recently. I know long waiting periods used to be more common but the more recent trend were improving. All based on my own anecdotal observations.

I agree with your point though!

I'm not obsessed with money, I'm obsessed with work! Er, rather the not doing it anymore part...
ChadR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As ChadR pointed out the trend is for shorter waits. Unfortunately it is very hard to change a plan once the rules are established so for companies with longstanding 401 plans they may be stuck.

At 54% of FIRE target
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
A few years ago I was hired by an employer with a six month waiting period on their 401k. When we negotiated for compensation, I asked to have the waiting period waived. They did it and it wasn't really a big deal. I still wasn't eligible for the 401k match for a year, but at least I could get the tax benefits. This was a small 70 person company.

I assume the waiting period is to simplify things in the case of a bad hire.
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
I had to wait over 6 months to contribute to the TSP when I first worked for the federal government. They no longer require that waiting period, though, AFAIK.
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
The thought on the waiting period deals with administrative costs for high turnover positions and the "testing" that is done with ERISA plans (x # of eligible rank and file employees need to contribute).

A lot of the folks that wash out in the first few months probably won't be the type that contribute to a 401(k) and thus they can cause headaches.

As far as this issue is concerned, remember that everything has a price...including not being eligible for benefits and/or 401(k). It's like I used to say..."if you increase my income, you can keep your insurance and 401k."
TN_INVEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
I always thought companies could make exceptions but I guess not.

The job offer was declined anyway.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.
We required a year but they hired one man who wanted in sooner so they changed the plan. Then he quit after a couple of months. I can see the reason to wait so you don't have to set someone up for a dozen paydays then they quit and you have to distribute the money. We have 13 people who could be in the plan but only 7 contribute. I was maxing mine a few years but last year and this year cut back a little. Now two others are maxing the plan I think they felt bad when they saw me do it on half their income.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I once worked in a small revolving door kinda place where the owner adjusted the waiting period based on his opinion of the employees most recently hired. That is a good place to be from.

Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote