Join Early Retirement Today

Want to be financially independent - how?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Want to be financially independent - how?

Goal: Want to be financially independent in 5 yrs.
Background: 45 yrs old and wife is 43 (wife doesnít work).
Two kids: 9 and 8 yrs old (No educational fund at this point).
House: Principal residence is paid off, also one rental property already paid off (current value is about $300K).
Investment: $200K in 401K and $800K in cash savings.
Work: I can save $100K per yr at my current job, but donít like work environment, kind of burning out.
I like to get some suggestions on how to achieving my goal. My ears are wide OPEN and ready to listen.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Flash,

1) how much do you spend each year? We can't figure out how close you are to financial independence if we don't know how much you spend.

2) Is the "cash savings" truly in cash? If it is, I think you are going to have to put some of it to work in order to meet your goals.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Have your wife get a good job. You have been working hard all these years, so now it is her turn to bring home the bacon. You can hang around the house and take care of the kids which is really easy since they are in school most of the time.

Other than that, you have to cut expenses. I guess since your house is paid off, your expenses are something like $8,000 a year now, right?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post

Other than that, you have to cut expenses. I guess since your house is paid off, your expenses are something like $8,000 a year now, right?
LOL,

You must have dropped a zero there, right? You meant $80,000 didn't you? Or did you meant $8,000 a month?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

If both of you work will be easier for your family to be financially independent.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$800K in cash is a LOT.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Moving to a low cost area in the country might help you.

Cheapest places to live in America – Topeka, KS for under $840 a <b style="color:black;background-color:#99ff99">month</b>
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hello Flash88 - Can you live on $32,000 ($800,000 x 0.04) until SS and 401k plan kick in ? If yes, you have answered your own question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash88 View Post
Goal: Want to be financially independent in 5 yrs.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote