Join Early Retirement Today

Want to change funds in taxable with obamacare can equal a big bill
Old 09-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Want to change funds in taxable with obamacare can equal a big bill

I have a 47k gain in a fund I want to sell. It looks like it will take me about 3 years if I want to stay in the 15% bracket. My obamacare will go high while I am selling for 2 or 3 years. Any of you faced this yet? In the long run I will save money but it will be painful for 2 or 3 years.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's a facet of the tax code that is currently notable, yes.

Capital gains add to AGI and reduce Obamacare subsidies even though they may be taxed at 0% if you are in the 15% (or lower) bracket.

The conventional wisdom I have seen on the subject is to simply evaluate the trade-off from all perspectives and decide if realizing those gains is worth losing the subsidies. Some people (including me) place some weight on getting the ACA subsidies now while one still can get them as there is some thought that the landscape may change in the future.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:29 AM   #3

I have not really come across exactly what you face. I have a big pile of carry over losses that would cover your CG a couple times over.

I do look at Roth conversions up to the top of the 15% vs HC subsidy. I've sided on conversion based comparing the total tax to do the conversion to that of those same $ at the top marginal rate I estimate I'll be in. All these plans my turn bogus if tax laws change.

I am looking at sale of appreciated stock with higher embedded gains. But as noted, I've got carry over losses to cover this one + some.

This is really just every day investing decisions.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
It's a facet of the tax code that is currently notable, yes.

Capital gains add to AGI and reduce Obamacare subsidies even though they may be taxed at 0% if you are in the 15% (or lower) bracket.

The conventional wisdom I have seen on the subject is to simply evaluate the trade-off from all perspectives and decide if realizing those gains is worth losing the subsidies. Some people (including me) place some weight on getting the ACA subsidies now while one still can get them as there is some thought that the landscape may change in the future.

+1 on this... plus I am trying to keep below the level so I can also get help on copays etc... so it is not just the tax credits I would lose...

I have much more untaxed gain than you... eventually I will have to pay the piper...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

While not exactly the same issue, I'm sitting on tons of gains in a taxable account, and would really like to rebalance in a big way since most experts I respect are forecasting fairly subdued stock returns for the next decade. But once I factor in the taxes from selling, the decision keeps leading me to paralysis. (The numbers are sufficiently large that I can't simply rebalance by adding income to other buckets.) Good luck with whatever you decide. The only way to know the "right" answer will be to wait many years, and do a look-back calculation, at which point it'll be simply an academic exercise and likely won't make any difference to your real life.
RenoJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:36 AM   #6

Same situation as RenoJay earlier this year. I opted to sell to rebalance which will bump me up one bracket on ACA. Was a control-what-you-can decision. My carrier is leaving ACA come 2018. No idea what the cost will be, other than not lower.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:54 AM   #7

I thought about taking all my gains in one year. But it seems to be about $500 cheaper for me to spread it out over two or three. But it sure slows things down. The only good news is when I am done my income will be super low. In the 15% tax bracket obamacare is a big deal.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
I thought about taking all my gains in one year. But it seems to be about $500 cheaper for me to spread it out over two or three. But it sure slows things down. The only good news is when I am done my income will be super low. In the 15% tax bracket obamacare is a big deal.
Just a quick pedantic note. Maybe it will be helpful.

Obamacare benefits are mostly defined in terms of the percentage of FPL. The 15% bracket depends on income and filing status. The two generally overlap but they are different things.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:07 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Well I faced that last year. In the end we had enough carried forward losses to ease the gain and pain.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Had a six bagger on Reynolds. Sale closed over the summer so my estimated tax due 9-15 was a painful reminder of reality.
Henry Lili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post

Is your situation one where the gains are "locked in", but you have discretion as to when to recognize them for tax purposes? If not, I would be concerned about the survivability of those gains if they are taken over 2-3 years.

For less than the cost of replacing an iPhone, I would take them now for the certainty.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
Is your situation one where the gains are "locked in", but you have discretion as to when to recognize them for tax purposes? If not, I would be concerned about the survivability of those gains if they are taken over 2-3 years.

For less than the cost of replacing an iPhone, I would take them now for the certainty.
They are not locked in. The problem is they are still short term gains at this point. I think I will have to wait at least until they are long term gains.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #13

I took the hit yesterday and did some big time rebalancing which included a large equity sale in my taxable account where the majority of it was cap gains. I'm in the camp that this market is overvalued and at some point I'll have a better entry point, even on a tax-adjusted basis. Still hurts though.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoJay View Post
.... I'm in the camp that this market is overvalued and at some point I'll have a better entry point, even on a tax-adjusted basis. Still hurts though.
I'll bet you would have said the same thing 6 months ago.... many people did anyway and the S&P is up 6-7% since then.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote