Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
Was there a point during investing when you decided to take on more risk?
Yes. When I started working many years ago, our company was reducing our pension contribution in exchange for a (then fairly new) 401k account with significant company match on contributions. I signed up for 20% stock funds and 80% money market. About two years later, the 401k expanded to add quite a number of new investment choices. A colleague analyzed the new funds and wrote a long but very instructive email with his analysis of how we should be investing our 401k accounts. I read his email three times through and then marched over to personnel and changed my allocation to 80% stock mutual funds and 20% money market. I also started taking more interest in learning more about investing -- it was in retrospect the beginnings of my quest for FIRE.

Over the years as the balance has grown larger and larger, I have slowly shifted the allocation and am now invested at 65% equities / 30% bonds / 5% MM. I like the fact that early investing has put me in a position where I do not need to take on as much risk.

--Linney
Linney is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!