Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #21
Administrator

Credit life insurance on my first car loan in 1981. I was 22 years old and single. I thought you had to sign for it to get the financing, and the dealership wasn't about to disabuse me of that notion.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelhxi View Post
I hate everything to do with vehicle ownership, and the cost doesn't help for FI.
Me too. In fact, I think I have SO convinced that the next time one of our cars needs to be replaced, we should try just sharing a car. I think we could do it easily. He's a little hesitant, but I told him we can give it a try and if it doesn't work out, we can always go out and buy a second vehicle.

At the end of 2008, I was commenting to him that since I RE, I'll bet I drive less than 3K miles a year. He suggested I track the mileage for 2009. I did, and I came out to 2600 miles. And most of that is because I still work a few hours a week. It would be less than 1K otherwise.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
DW and I were reminiscing about the 2 different cars in England we owned that used to suffer from sudden acceleration (as in, this latest scandal is not a new phenomena ).... Cars
Remembering a diesel Rabbit VW that had blow-by issues. When enough crankcase oil built up in the intake plenum it would start slopping over and getting burned. Quite happily and with great vigor and black smoke I might add. It didn't much care if the oil was sprayed from the injectors or poured in with the combustion air from the plenum. Once it started it was off to the races, and being a diesel it really didn't care if the ignition switch was turned off - with air, compression, a nice hot engine, and a fuel source it was happy to accelerate till the oil stopped feeding. That was about as exciting as the diesel Rabbit got, so once we knew what it was we just went with it. Recalls. snicker.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Paying for kids' college. Maybe.
Ditto
Old 02-08-2010, 03:58 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh gosh - so many - however, to me the attitude I had of using shopping as a social and weekend activity - going to the mall and spending money - yikes - amazing I was able to break that and now frankly loathe shopping.

Cars - yes, getting finally wise and buying reliable cars and maintaining them properly. I've usually lived in places where mass transit was not an easy option, so cars were a necessary evil.

Houses - have been very lucky in that department - very lucky. But then, was careful - location, location, location - also, pre-pay the mortgage. Still remember refinancing the house to a ten year payoff in the heyday years (just a few years ago!) and having the notary look at me like I was crazy for doing a ten year loan and not taking equity out.

Clothes - oh, have spent stupid amounts on clothes when a young engineer. Not anymore!

Have not regretted paying for any vacations I've taken - have not regretted paying for any visits I made to family across the world/nation.

Some kitchen gadgets I've purchased were crazy - although there are some (the KitchenAid and food processor and plastic mandoline) that are awesome tools I wouldn't want to lose.

Having my own sports equipment for those sports I continually engage in I do not regret (snow skis /boots, graphite badminton rackets, hiking boots)
Old 02-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #26

Pre-retirement:

1. Paid top dollar for a house back in 2007. Our market has not dropped (in Texas) like on the coasts, but I still paid too much and it's pretty embarrassing. However, DW is happy so maybe it's not THAT big of a deal.

2. Boats. I never get enough use out of them or much money back when I sell them.

3. Hot rods. Same as above.

4. Motorcycles. Four wheelers.

5. Fish camp I don't really use much any more.

Post-retirement:

1. Spending more on travel than I thought we would.

2. Swimming pool to go along with the big house I paid too much for. Yes, I'm an idiot.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #27

Multi-level marketing.

'nuff said
Old 02-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

A $5000 non-refundable deposit on a North Shore home that we ended up not buying.

Tuition at the School of Experience-- priceless.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Crap from all those "parties of friends"...i.e. Pampered Chef, Silpada jewelry, Longaberger baskets, and some candle company that sold $15 candles..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferco View Post
As you reflect back in time what have been your areas of waste or inappropriate use of your money/funds both pre FI and during FI using the retrospectoscope ?
I let my company stock become too much of my wealth in the early 2000's and it let it go BOOM (essentially $0)!

I bought a new F-150 truck in 2005 when I should have stuck with my 2000 F-150. I got a good deal on the trade in but I'd be financially happier today if I was still driving the 2000 that would be up around 100,000 miles now. The odl one went through some Buffalo winter and was fairly rusted up underneath and starting to give me troubles... but still cheaper to repair than get something new. Next vehicle will be 2 years used to save bucks hopefully at least another 5-7 years away.

I went bonkers with my margin ability as things were collapsing in 10/2008 and only managed to make bad worse. This was limited to my discretionary trading account and did not do any damage to my 401K or IRA, but still, i lost a couple extra thousand at the time that I didn't need to waste away.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Crap from all those "parties of friends"...i.e. Pampered Chef, Silpada jewelry, Longaberger baskets, and some candle company that sold $15 candles..........
Yes, yes and yes.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

My beer consumption has gone down too. I think I had 2 Guinness in January.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:31 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Gotta agree with this one. We have never had such a party, yet the DW feels obligated to go to one whenever she is invited and always comes home with crap we never use. It's not a lot of money, just annoying.

The really big waste was buying a vacation condo in 2004. We did get use out of it a few weeks a year, but it would have been far, far cheaper to just stay in a hotel or rent a place. Of course, we had this wild idea that it would actually increase in value (which it did, by about 50% in late 2006 before the market collapsed).
Old 02-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Gotta agree with this one. We have never had such a party, yet the DW feels obligated to go to one whenever she is invited and always comes home with crap we never use.
I stopped going to those years ago. One friend got really mad because she had a pampered chef party and no one showed up. But is it really a party if guests are expected to buy over priced goods?

As far as my regrets....Our second and current house is in a good location but has been kind of a money pit in terms of repairs. I'm too cheap to hire a general contractor so it is taking forever to have the plumbing, windows, floors, etc all updated as I only get one major project done every 6 moths or so. I think I'd buy a newer, or at least more updated, house next time.

I also regret buying inexpensive cars with poor repair records when we had young kids and were on one income. I think in the long run we would have spent less overall on cars with a higher initial price tags but better repair records.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #35
Confused about dryer sheets

Hobbies.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFrugal View Post
I stopped going to those years ago. One friend got really mad because she had a pampered chef party and no one showed up. But is it really a party if guests are expected to buy over priced goods?
Ditto...I swore them off years ago. The whole concept of using a personal friendship to make sales that another person benefits from (the sponsor, not the hostess) always turned me off.
The hostess spends a lot on the party itself and then has to turn around and impose on the attendees to do the same nonsense all over again.
Huh?
Old 02-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #37

Billy and I tried to think of purchases where we felt we had wasted our money…

Like the time in the mid 1980’s where we sold our Exxon stock to purchase our home… Although we made money on the sale of our home, we sometimes think we should have just held onto the stock. But then having a home at that particular time in our lives was satisfying and nurturing in a way that owning stock wasn’t.

Or all the money we spent on vintage wines (Californian, French, Chilean, Italian, etc.) during our restaurant and upper-end dining years. Sure, we could have saved that vast amount of money, but then we would not have had those experiences. And we do feel enriched by them.

I guess for me it would be the Bang and Olufsen turntable I bought in the late 1980’s just before we retired in 1991... Sold it at our estate sale (along with all the beveled and inlaid furniture we had) to someone who was just thrilled to get it at such a discounted price. Even that is all part of the experience.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement
The Adventurer’s Guide to Chapala Living
Old 02-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #38

Quote:
Add me to the list of those who hates these parties. I refuse to go and always schedule something to make sure if conflicts with the proposed "party". I got hit on just a couple of weeks ago by the ladies at my step aerobics class to go to an Arbonne party after class. Mind you none of them had ever so much invited out for a coffee. Rather than offend them I made an appt. that required me to leave 5 minutes before the end of class.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I wasted over $20/month on AT&T instead of using a dialaround service.
What's a dialaround service? I'm still paying AT&T.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
But then again, we've been living happily together for 36 years so maybe it was actually money well spent as separation would have cost a whole lot more
This is quite true. Women need their needs fulfilled at least to some degree; and for some women the need to decorate is strong. Also it "proves" that you love them and will subordinate your desires to theirs.

Ha