Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-26-2016, 08:49 AM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I'm with Moemg...you built what you say is a 700K house that is "perfect" but have decided to leave..Why? I hope you keep this thread updated so we find out if you sell and at what price.A 100K earnest money payment? Is that what you mean when you say 100K down payment?That would be a walking issue for me.

If you think the market is so strong why are you listing 12 months ahead of moving time?
Life happens. Namely, i hate yardwork!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Quantum Sufficit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 09:36 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Sufficit View Post
Life happens. Namely, i hate yardwork!

Really? you can hire a lot of yardwork for the selling fees on a 700K house.6% of 700K is over 40 thousand dollars. Is there a price point where you won't pull the trigger on a sale, I can't tell if you have already purchased home number 2.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:43 AM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This thread is a treatise on nonsensical economics.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post

There is also a lot of the details not told by the OP as to why the early sale on a house that was their "dream home". Speculating on unknowns is just a waste of time.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

about a year ago some cali transplants bought a house in our neighborhood

6 months later it was for sale, so I go in the open house, "hey, what's the dang deal?"

"lady decided she didn't like walking her kid in the foothills so they decided to move down the street 2 miles where it's flat"

so they put it on the market asking 6% more than they paid for it

truth is stranger than fiction
Old 07-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
There is also a lot of the details not told by the OP as to why the early sale on a house that was their "dream home". Speculating on unknowns is just a waste of time.
is that a known unknown or an unknown unknown?
Old 07-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #127

Our realtor priced our house extremely high, which got DH's hopes up. We ended up taking 20% less because the neighborhood wasn't getting any better and the realtor said we could be taking a 50% drop in price if we waited another year. It was VERY hard on DH because there was a great deal of his sweat in the enhancements. We finally realize the goal was to move, and we could afford to take the hit. It took him months to get over it, even after we moved into our much smaller dream house.

If you built it, then it's like a member of the family, and in your eyes it should be worth what you perceive. Unfortunately, perception isn't always reality.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:24 AM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
is that a known unknown or an unknown unknown?
It's a combination of both!
Old 07-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #129

We just got low balled on our house--WTF *?&!

My neighbor has put their house up for sale three times in the last few years as prices have increased. Each time they have gotten offers at or above asking, only to not sell because they later realize the impulse house they wanted to buy next is more than the banks want to lend them because are so foolish with their money. And their kids are starting to move out yet they want a bigger house and the husband just had a heart attack meanwhile the wife has never worked yet they have maids come to clean all the time while the garbage cans overflow with empty beer containers.

We are the sum of our decisions, and our decisions are based on our perceptions of reality.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Additional details are not at all important to the sale. My point was 600k on a well comped 700k sell point was low. We countered. We will see where it goes. Have another showing in a couple days. Suffice it to say I found a new dream home thus a sale of the first dream home.

Quantum Sufficit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:33 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Sufficit View Post
Additional details are not at all important to the sale. My point was 600k on a well comped 700k sell point was low. We countered. We will see where it goes. Have another showing in a couple days. Suffice it to say I found a new dream home thus a sale of the first dream home.

I think you and I have a different definition of "dream home"
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
............Speculating on unknowns is just a waste of time a major past time here.
FIFY
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:02 PM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

I have seen in my areas that expensive upgrades don't get full value. They do make the homes sell quicker if done nicely and at the top end of square foot prices. Most expensive homes on the block are slow sellers I think buyers see little upside.

You state "well comped" Not according to what I see on zillow for sold homes. It would be interesting if you could get an appraisal at 700k.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:06 AM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My neighbor has put their house up for sale three times in the last few years as prices have increased. Each time they have gotten offers at or above asking, only to not sell because they later realize the impulse house they wanted to buy next is more than the banks want to lend them because are so foolish with their money. And their kids are starting to move out yet they want a bigger house and the husband just had a heart attack meanwhile the wife has never worked yet they have maids come to clean all the time while the garbage cans overflow with empty beer containers.

We are the sum of our decisions, and our decisions are based on our perceptions of reality.

How can you know all of this?
Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:04 AM   #135

Because they tell everyone on the cul de sac about their plans, and even got one neighbor to "emergency" landscape their yard the one morning they just "decided" to sell and had buyers coming that evening.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:25 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Our trash collection will pick up large items one day each week. However, I have never put anything out that didn't disappear within an hour or so. I often wonder how the scavengers manage to come up with a truck so fast.
I put out an old old sofa my mom had and it was scooped up in an hour. She had a slip cover on it to make it look somewhat decent but when I put it out, I pulled the cover off and trashed it. The sofa really looked bad w/o it....but someone still wanted it. It had to be 40 years old.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:58 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Most people really do not know how to buy a home and realtors know that. Remember Information is like gold.

What we have done when we liked a home to buy is thoroughly research the owners (and the home). All info is public record and in Florida it is all on line and free.

Important factors are, what is the owners mortgage, any other liens or encumbrances on the property, or is it owned outright.

If they are mortgaged fully, they are less likely to accept a low offer less than their leveraged amount.

If they own it outright, that is another opportunity to offer less as the seller is not gong to be out of pocket. (Remember we NEVER count home equity in our retirement nest egg)

If they are leveraged and the amount is 30% - 40% less than the perceived value of the home you can offer as low as the mortgage + RE fees and it will be considered.

Case in point, In 2006 a home was listed in a nice development in Florida for $1.2m, that was at the height of market. It came off the market and the owners rented it for 2 years, in 2008 it went back up for $870k. The buyers researched the owners, they had a $575k mortgage on the home and another home in California that was also mortgaged for $650k.

The original home was listed for 2 months and reduced to $740k. A buyer placed a cash offer with some contingencies for $500k, it was rejected. After 1 week, the same buyer place a cash offer of $595k No Contingencies (other than home inspection) and stated it was the last offer from this buyer and would expire permanently in 48 hours. 1 hour prior to the expiry it was accepted.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:27 PM   #138
Full time employment: Posting here.

So i read your post and alot of the comments. My thoughts:
- i did not see anyone mention that you consider lowering your asking price substantially before accepting an offer 100k below your current asking. Percentages aside most buyers who are looking under 650 or are willing to pay that probably skip your listing.
- you have a one year lead time so major +1 on trying to sell in late fall or winter.

Suggested path forward:
-- find out how long it takes in your mls for "days on market" to completely reset. Make a plan to withdraw listing for that period of time if it hasnt sold so that you can fresh list it late in the fall.
-- during above time find three houses in the neighborhood that have sold and contact the BUYERS agent. Get three broker price opinions from them on your place
-- market the home over late fall or winter at price consistent with Bpo

In the mean time for this listing i would not consider an offer more than 50k below asking without testing the waters by lowering the price. A 50k price drop would bring buyers in since they may have skipped before. On this last point, no rush since you have a year.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:24 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Wow! I can't imagine getting a neighbor to do anything like that.

Their money management skills may not be too great, but their people-manipulation skills appear to be top-drawer.

Quote:
Because they tell everyone on the cul de sac about their plans, and even got one neighbor to "emergency" landscape their yard the one morning they just "decided" to sell and had buyers coming that evening.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:19 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Wow! I can't imagine getting a neighbor to do anything like that.

Their money management skills may not be too great, but their people-manipulation skills appear to be top-drawer.

Ya, my poor neighbor thought she was being nice to help them landscape in a hurry and help them move out as a last favor, got totally screwed and now is bitter.