Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Just because I find real estate trends interesting...

I believe I found your house on Zillow. Amazingly beautiful home. It does seem that you are by far the highest price in the immediate area, tho in the general area of your city theres a lot of homes in your price range for sale. It seems a lot of them are at the 90-120 DOM right now. You may just need to have some patience, which might work out for you anyway.
carnivalday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
I don't find a 15% off offer to be that offensive. Ya, it's low but I usually start at 10-15%. Sometimes you get lucky. The reality here is we won't know if it was a "low ball" offer until we see how long it takes to sell (i.e incurring carrying costs for you) and what the ultimate sale price is. We were selling a house last year for $375. We got an offer the first day on the market for $325 which seemed too low. we did not counter. 6 months later we were down to $340k and hadn't sold so decided to rent it out. So while we felt the initial offer was low it was solely based on our miscalculating what the home was really worth. Good luck with your sale.
+1 I looked back and our initial offer on the condo that we recently purchased was 89% of the asking price. We ultimately paid 93% of their asking price.

When we sold our main home in 2011, the seller's initial offer was 85% of our asking price... we calmly told them that price was a non-starter but we would entertain a revised offer... they came back with an offer of 92% of our asking price and we accepted.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:53 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

"You got to haggle"

RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:09 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Sufficit View Post
Socca,

We would be taking our house off the market for 6 months thats why i want 100k. I flew off the handle here in the forums but i thought we countered respectfully dropping to 685 k and enforcing our request for 100k. By the way , the "drop in the bucket" totals 8 k in requests.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
An approach that would be common in our area is that if the sale is contingent on the buyer's selling their property, the seller would retain the right to market and show the property... if the sellers get an offer without a sale contingency that was at least equal to the contract price then the buyers would have x hours to waive the sales contingency. If the buyers decide not the waive the contingency then the seller is free to accept the competing offer and the buyer's deposit is returned and the contract is null and void.

This overcomes the concern about taking the house off the market for so long. If the buyer doesn't want the seller to be able to continue to market the property then they have to put a big deposit at risk.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:24 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Good tips about the furniture...most people are quite happy with a deck or lanai set that is under $1000 new, so even if the furniture is good quality, to them it's just a minor item that can easily be replaced inexpensively.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:29 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

The best story I know was a forum buddy (not here) that installed 20 grand of solid cherry cabs in the kitchen and sold the house shortly after.

When he drove by one day after the sale all that beautiful wood had been removed and was out on the curb for the trash man.

Amazing. But that's life in the real world today!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, my sister had nice wood kitchen cabinets (maple or hickory or something like that) in her brand new house and then had them painted white... I could never figure that one out but I like natural wood.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:23 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

My buyers tore out the gorgeous high end granite countertops and the rest of my lovely kitchen, but decided to leave the hideous un-renovated and sad looking 1972 bathroom with pink fake marble plastic counter and matching shower surround, and dark pink (brownish pink?) bathtub, toilet, and sink. They love it.

There's no accounting for taste! But hey, it's their house now and they can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned. To me this is one more reason why I'm so thankful that I did not renovate to sell.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:35 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

My FIL replaced a bunch of taste specific built-ins, the new owners ripped them out to replace with the old originals. They'd been to the house and loved the old!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:26 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

When I tried to FSBO my condo 10 years ago I got the same kind of lowball offers (20-30% or more off the reasonable asking price, though on a sub-$100k property).

I would kindly respond that we were so far apart as buyers and sellers that it was unlikely we could reach a deal and then I would refuse to negotiate below my initial offer unless they made some reasonable offer. Eventually I sold for cash, no contingencies, sight unseen as asking price (California real estate bubble $$ found me in North Carolina!).

There are plenty of folks looking to lowball sellers just to see if they will bite. Never know when a seller is desperate to sell.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:38 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

DSister and BIL found a place they liked and submitted a lowball offer that was accepted. They later found out that the seller had, earlier that day, found his dream home and was desperate to deal so he could buy that dream home. You never know.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:38 AM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In the end, the market will find you. If you are truly in a seller's market, and you are priced a bit too low, buyers may actually bid you up, fighting over the property. But if you are indeed high, or if it's not really a seller's market, buyers won't feel that desperation to buy YOUR particular house at YOUR price, simply because there are others to choose from.

You mention that the market is "projected" to rise 25% over the next three years, but projections aren't concrete. Sellers might look at what housing was worth at the peak, before the bubble burst, but buyers might be looking at what prices were like AFTER the bubble burst.
I suspect you love your house, and went into this with the most optimistic of outlooks, based upon being told it's a "seller's" market, and the projection of rising values, and are surprised that you haven't had more action in 36 days. The market is telling you something about your original expectations.
Have you checked out sites like Trulia and Zillow to see if there are a lot of similar options for buyers to choose from?
And the big key is how desperate are you to sell quickly? Are you OK with waiting 6 months for the buyer who really falls in love with your particular house, among the many others that may be available?
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:08 AM   #73

I don't think it is worth getting bent out of shape about people coveting your personal belongings. If anything, take it as a complement (but decline it just as breezily, if you're so inclined).

Low-balling should also not be taken too personally - it isn't personal. These people don't know you and you don't want them to. Selling a house through a broker means it is a 100% business transaction, and so such gamesmanship is not unusual. When we were selling our home a number of years ago, we had one buyer who was evidently quite belligerent to our realtor, insisting that we were being unreasonable expecting fair market value when we only paid $X for the place. He was seemingly outraged that we'd be making a profit on the increase in fair market value and that he could not therefore capitalize on our forethought to buy the place years earlier when it was less expensive.

I'm not sure I'd counter such offers though. Again, from a strictly business standpoint, I think it is more profitable to decline such offers, forcing the buyer to either go away (if they're immovably unreasonable) or make a reasonable offer from which real negotiations could begin. That's just me, though.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:50 AM   #74

Each real estate market is unique. I began 3 months prior to listing looking at a few real estate sites to get a good idea of what my place was worth. So I knew pretty close what my place would sell for. Some sites were off on the price but a few were close and kept checking them. My neighbor had almost the same condo I had so it was easy to compare. Three weeks into listing with no bites I lowered the sales price by 3%. I received two offers. One I accepted . Yes, I had to pay closing costs and had to deal with a few minor repairs. I was offered 98% of my final sales ask price. I figured that was the best offer I was going to get and I jumped on it. Glad I did.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:17 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

It is all about the market. Where I live in DC houses stay open for one weekend after which bidding wars take the asking price up, frequently 10% or more. When I recently sold my weekend house on the Potomac river in VA it sold for 14% under where I initially listed it after 18 months on the market! Midway through I had a lowball at 33% under. Can't blame someone for asking.

I build the VA house after getting a great deal on the land during a down market in the early 90s. I had earlier made an offer on a nearby house at 27% under that the realtor told me POd the seller. I learned that about a year later the seller unloaded the house at exactly the amount I bid. By then I was glad the offer was declined since the place I built was far superior.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:23 AM   #76

Never get emotional about selling or buying your house. Your dream is usually not theirs. That is why we always use a realtor to put up a barrier between us and buyers.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:35 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky View Post
We are in the Sarasota / Bradenton area, and for the last year or so, properly priced houses in our area have an accepted offer within a week. Overpriced houses languish, get taken off the market and come back with lower prices. Many who purchased in the 2005 /2007 timeframe seems to get stuck on what they paid for the house, as if that is relevant. If this is your first week, be patient, you will get an offer. If you are pushing 3 weeks, you may need to reconsider your pricing. The least rational person about what a home is worth is the owner.

We had bought north of Tampa in 2006 for $280k and recently sold for $225k to a realtor buying for his personal use. He offered $5000 below asking with us paying all closing costs. We countered with our full asking price and normal closing costs shared. He accepted and we closed a month later after the appraisal came back at our asking price. We lost money from our initial purchase, but we're realistic about what homes were selling for in the area and we did little to upgrade. If a house is priced correctly it will sell. Ours did in less than a week.
My FIL took forever to sell his place since emotions got to him from having built it himself. Once we convinced him how to prepare the place and how to determine the real value (a very soft market area), the house sold the first day when it was relisted. Emotions flared up during the inspection process, but closing is this week...finally!

Enjoying life!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:48 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Never get emotional about selling or buying your house. Your dream is usually not theirs. That is why we always use a realtor to put up a barrier between us and buyers.
I sold 3 houses w/o a realtor and the process was a piece of cake. The 4th......not so much. This house(my mom's) I had planned to turn over to a realtor because of the poor location. But a person in the neighborhood approached me about buying it shortly before listing with the realtor. Anyway as we talked they appeared undecided so I go ahead and list it with an exclusion in the contract. No fee if I sell to these people within 30 days. To make a long story short, they became more interested but were very difficult to deal with. I ended up having to bring in the realtor in to handle the final negotiations and paper work at a nominal fee.

I'm pretty much done buying and selling property although I will sell my condo one day. When I do I will certainly use a realtor.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:50 AM   #79

I really dont get this, someone is upset because they don't like an offer they received? I mean, come on.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:13 AM   #80

Agree with the main sentiments expressed. It's just an offer. Take it for what it is, decide what to do with the prospective buyer and move on. Agree with the thoughts expressed about seller's/buyer's market - if you are truly in a seller's market and your house has been listed that long.... Around here the current seller's market has average time on market at less than a week, multiple offers and sales above asking. Yes, bubble territory!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote