Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Weak Dollar - Any Concerns
Old 04-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Weak dollar? What weak dollar? Our Canadian dollar hasn't been this high this long for about 30 years.

Sorry, kidding you SOB's (south of border)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2007, 08:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
Weak dollar? What weak dollar? Our Canadian dollar hasn't been this high this long for about 30 years.

Sorry, kidding you SOB's (south of border)
wait till commodities drop in value

Old 04-22-2007, 01:43 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As an FYI to Lancelot (and you might know this).... the UK does not use Euros...

And the euro was way below a dollar a few years back.... so it is WAY stronger than it was...
Old 04-22-2007, 03:04 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Currently there are fourteen countries of the European Union that do not use the Euro: They are Denmark, Sweden, the United Kingdom, Bulgaria, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Romania and Slovakia.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
As an FYI to Lancelot (and you might know this).... the UK does not use Euros...

And the euro was way below a dollar a few years back.... so it is WAY stronger than it was...
The UK pension system (similar to the US in that there is a fund made up of government securites) is so different to the Eurozone countries (ie they don't a pension fund, it is completely pay as you go, so the baby boomers retiring means more taxes for the remaining workers or lower benefits) is one of the reasons the UK did not join the euro.

My take on the euro/dollar and GBP/dollar is that it is a cycle and nothing to worry about apart the short term effect on vacations. Unfortunately, for those wanting to retire to the UK, it is more of a worry. We plan to spend a lot more time living in the UK when we retire, but are fortunate that 2 of my company pensions will be paid in the UK plus I'm eligible for a UK govt pension, having paid into the system for 19 years.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
The UK pension system (similar to the US in that there is a fund made up of government securites) is so different to the Eurozone countries (ie they don't a pension fund, it is completely pay as you go, so the baby boomers retiring means more taxes for the remaining workers or lower benefits) is one of the reasons the UK did not join the euro.

So a fund made up of debt obligations owed both by, and too, the same government is supposed to be different from a pay as you go scheme how?

Hey look, I just wrote my self a $10MM IOU . . . I'm off to spend my $400,000 SWR. Why didn't anyone think of this sooner?
Old 04-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Yrs to Go
Why didn't anyone think of this sooner?
Maybe because it costs a lot of money to print your own currency!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:46 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud

Yep, the Brits in my neighborhood remind me constantly "Two for one today mate" (two pounds sterling per USD)

I was referencing that Citi Group (I think that was the name) study that the UK is shifting to more personal retirememnt savings plans that are funded (the value of the market that day)

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
US stock market - could go up as our stocks look cheap to foreign investors; it could go down if foreign investors see their currently invested dollars going down. So far it isn't in the news so not too much to worry about.
The longterm decline of the value of the US$ isn't in the news Really? What newspaper do you read?

Most non-American investors are very aware that the greenback has significantly slumped during the past few years, and are accordingly cautious about the US markets.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Yrs to Go
So a fund made up of debt obligations owed both by, and too, the same government is supposed to be different from a pay as you go scheme how?
It's the same as the US system - which pushes the SS money from one hand to the other. Both the US and UK think this is better than no fund at all. SS fund, no SS fund, which is better? I don't know but the reason I brought it up is that the UK had to essentially give up its pension funding system to be in line with the rest of the Euro countries. Unless there is a concession or a major change in thinking then the UK won't be joining the Euro system any time soon.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:25 PM   #31

Yep, the Brits in my neighborhood remind me constantly "Two for one today mate" (two pounds sterling per USD) sure hope you asked them what it was 30 yrs ago!