Join Early Retirement Today

Wealth advantage workshop
Old 01-29-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wealth advantage workshop

Hi all,

Well, I've decided I'm going to take up a local "financial educator" on his offer to come listen to his "Wealth advantage workshop" and get myself a $50 gift certificate to a local restaurant.

I will be interested to see how (hard) he tries to pitch his financial advising services even though the workshop summary says there won't be any of that going on.

Any good suggestions for mischievous ways to enliven the evening?

2Cor521

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Wealth advantage workshop
Old 01-29-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Which restaurant?

Old 01-29-2007, 02:00 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521
Hi all,

Well, I've decided I'm going to take up a local "financial educator" on his offer to come listen to his "Wealth advantage workshop" and get myself a $50 gift certificate to a local restaurant.

I will be interested to see how (hard) he tries to pitch his financial advising services even though the workshop summary says there won't be any of that going on.

Any good suggestions for mischievous ways to enliven the evening?

2Cor521
1)Ask him what "guaranteed return" he is getting his clients.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:10 PM   #4

rmark,

I dunno. I think the promo said "a top local restaurant"...will see.

FinanceDude,

Funny...will see what he tries to push.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:07 PM   #5

Maybe he'll do the soft sell by making investing seem way too complicated for any mere mortal.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

My dad recently "won" a free lunch for 10, paid for by a financial advisor. This kid was 23, and a few of the people at the lunch were late 60s, early 70's. So he's giving his spiel, and he says something about saving for your goals that are 20 or 30 years away. My mom and another woman look at each other and chuckle. The kid pauses, not getting the joke. So mom tells him, "Some of us don't have 30 years."

The kid, self-dubbed 'Doogie Howser of Financial Planning,' managed a nervous chuckle and moved on.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #7

If he mentions safe investing, ask him something along the lines of "Wasn't Long Term Capital Management safe" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_te...tal_management
Old 01-29-2007, 09:09 PM   #8

OK, so I went and it really wasn't that bad and it also wasn't that good.

He was a fairly soft sell but he did throw out a bunch of scare tactics -- pensions are going away, taxes are high, estate taxes will take all your money, etc. -- some of which were true and some of which I didn't quite follow his numbers on.

He referenced Dent and Kiyosaki a little in his presentation, but what he read from Kiyosaki's book was quotes from Warren Buffett, so it was a mixed bag.

Overall it was stuff that most people here learn in their first few months of reading on personal finance.

I did walk away with the promise of a $25 dinner gift certificate (per person, I attended solo so I just got $25) to one of the nicest restaurants in my city to be mailed to my home address, 2 "100 Grand" candy bars for getting the right answers to his questions, $4 in cash (traded him a $1 bill for a $5 bill in one of his examples), a pen/highlighter, and a notepad. All in all not a bad way to spend two hours of my time, but I probably won't make a habit of it.

Oh, and there were a few veiled references to annuities, but he never used that word. He talked about "insuring a portion of your nest egg" against a stock market decline like 2000-2002.

2Cor521
Old 01-29-2007, 11:26 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521
OK, so I went and it really wasn't that bad and it also wasn't that good.

He was a fairly soft sell but he did throw out a bunch of scare tactics -- pensions are going away, taxes are high, estate taxes will take all your money, etc. -- some of which were true and some of which I didn't quite follow his numbers on.
Amateur............

Quote:
He referenced Dent and Kiyosaki a little in his presentation, but what he read from Kiyosaki's book was quotes from Warren Buffett, so it was a mixed bag.
Good old Harry Dent.......got AIM Funds to make him a multimillionaire right before the market cratered..........not a stupid dude, but Dow 30,000? We got a ways to go...........

[quote]Overall it was stuff that most people here learn in their first few months of reading on personal finance.

I did walk away with the promise of a $25 dinner gift certificate (per person, I attended solo so I just got $25) to one of the nicest restaurants in my city to be mailed to my home address, 2 "100 Grand" candy bars for getting the right answers to his questions, $4 in cash (traded him a $1 bill for a $5 bill in one of his examples), a pen/highlighter, and a notepad. All in all not a bad way to spend two hours of my time, but I probably won't make a habit of it.

Oh, and there were a few veiled references to annuities, but he never used that word. He talked about "insuring a portion of your nest egg" against a stock market decline like 2000-2002.

2Cor521
[/quote

Glad you survived............... But a meal bought by OTHERS always tastes good............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote