Wealth does not pass three generations

Jeffman52

Recycles dryer sheets
Why It Takes Just 3 Generations for Some to Lose Their Family Fortune - Live Wellthy - October 2018

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glo...-how-the-cycle-can-be-broken/article33757468/

I was listening to the radio this morning and someone said that inherited wealth generally does not last beyond three generations and in many cases not even that far.

"Among the most compelling causes are younger family members who are ill-prepared or unwilling to shoulder the responsibility of wealth stewardship. They have grown up with plenty of money and are a step or two removed from the work ethic and drive of the people who made it for them."

Does this change anyone's plans on children's inheritances? I know there are tons of threads on what to do... trusts and such. But I was wondering if this gives anyone pause on whether inheritance is a blessing to the next generation or a curse.

I am in the 2nd generation category where it's evident I am working to preserve what my parents worked so hard to gain. They are also of course interested in preservation with there COL needs met with passive income.

My kids...yeah they are spoiled. Not Kardashian or Swift type of spoiled...not even Duck Dynasty spoiled, but they livin large lol. (4 year old just took a heli ride the other day courtesy of papa). I guess we need to foster the family values, trust and understanding as the article states.

I expect my children to learn some level of work ethic...even if it's just checking in at the family office everyday. :)

In the old days, wealthy family normally had a lot of children. When they divided the wealth generation after generation, each one received exponentially smaller portion of the inheritance.

Does this change anyone's plans on children's inheritances?
Seems like a pretty light piece. Light on actual details proving this, I mean. I'd find it very hard to believe this would change anyone's mind.

Does this change anyone's plans on children's inheritances?

Not me.

Whatever wealth remains after my wife and I are gone will be passed on to our sons. Hopefully, they will do the same for our grandchildren.

We expect to receive a fairly large inheritance from DW's parents (both in their mid-80's). Having reached FI ourselves and planning to RE in the next 12 months, we originally planned how to steward that inheritance to pass on to our sons. But we have sort of changed our minds in that regard, and instead plan to spend it on ourselves and our families while we are living (funding college educations for future grandchildren, etc) with no specific plans to leave an inheritance after we're gone beyond what we didn't get around to spending. Our sons are doing well for themselves, and we'd rather encourage them to seek their own success and build their own future without relying on something coming to them from us.

We'll see how that plan goes when put into action!

I expect my children to learn some level of work ethic...even if it's just checking in at the family office everyday. :)

Now a family office is a whole new level of wealth. What’s it today? Do you have 10 million or is it 30 million at least to need a family office?

Does a family office come with education for the youths?

I haven't read the article. The kind of wealth that I have generated from a standing start won't endure but we will take the 'teach a man [and woman] to fish' approach. The wealth of the Rothschild, Rockfeller, Walton, Morgan, Windsor, Mars, Arnault, Kamprad and countless other families is likely to persist longer unless they chose otherwise. Many of these people chose to stay totally off the radar.

I agree that the article was very, very light on any real data. I imagine a "fortune" of 2 million is not the same as one of 200 million.

I can see where the $2 million one is disapated pretty fast if there are a number of kids. The $200 million one probably has some professional handling and probably would live on for a number of generations.

Does this change anyone's plans on children's inheritances? I know there are tons of threads on what to do... trusts and such. But I was wondering if this gives anyone pause on whether inheritance is a blessing to the next generation or a curse.
The article is pretty light. I'm not concerned at all. Next generation here seems level-headed and doing well without inherited wealth. I expect that will continue after we're gone.

The smarter old-money people knew how to raise their children. And if they did not, they would send their offsprings to boarding schools.

I recently read a biography of Prince Philip. He was born into the Greek and Danish royal families, but they were exiled from Greece when he was young. After spending his time in French and English boarding schools, he entered the Royal Navy Academy, served honorably in WWII, and obtained British citizenship before marrying Princess Elizabeth.

Just because one is born with a silver spoon in his mouth does not mean he will turn out a spoiled brat. Nowadays, this is getting rare, I suspect.

I forgot to mention that in our extended family, both my side and my wife's, there will not be another generation after our offsprings.

As mentioned elsewhere, out of 21 children of child bearing age and the eldest already 50, there's only 1 baby. That's it.

In the old days, wealthy family normally had a lot of children. When they divided the wealth generation after generation, each one received exponentially smaller portion of the inheritance.

Around here it was derisively called "Wasp Rot".

But we're into our fifth generation and going the other way with fewer and fewer people to split with; in fact everyone gets a small raise when some cousin dies. (oh no! hooray!)

I think a lot of it is a matter of careful planning and care taken to insure that each generation understands and appreciates a level of responsibility to the following generation. There can be lots of conditions, checks and balances and such put in place to insure the resources stay intact.

But I did once meet a guy who only managed family funds above $600MM. He said that by the third generation there was huge paranoia and distrust of just about everyone outside the circle, plus a fear that they would not have the know-how and street smarts to do what grandpa did if it ever came to rebuilding the business.

Last edited:
No children to worry about, so I'm just gonna...wait for it...

Blow That Dough!

I'm 65. Daughter 18. Unless market really falls apart or I go on a huge spending spree, she'll be getting several million $ the way things are structured now (with Trust age restrictions, etc).

(Warning -Dad bragging coming). She just graduated high school, made honor roll, was Athlete of the Year winning State titles in XC running and distance track, worked on weekends and has been working 40-60 hours/wk this summer while training for XC team at her new school, Baylor (45+ miles/week + weights). She seems pretty responsible, and I've just set up accounts for her at Fidelity - checking, credit card, Roth and Investment. I will gift her $1,250 monthly, from which she'll fund Roth, fund taxable investment account, and budget her spending.

Hopefully she will learn how to manage all this before I kick off and she gets a buttload of cash dropped on her. If she squanders this money and doesn't manage it responsibly, at least I will know rather than have her blow the big money after I'm gone, and I can make some changes on how she'd be able to access the funds, if at all.

Last edited:
Even a "wealthy" family with let's say $10m can be gone in 3 generations easy. They have 2 kids so $5m each. Let's say the kids only spend the income (not likely but let's just say) and they each have 2 kids so each of those kids inherits barely over $1m. 2 kids each... blah, blah, blah. Money be gone pretty quick and that's with some care being shown which is more than most people show with their money.

My grandfather came to the US in 1905, started a successful business and lost it in the depression, struggled after that. Father drove a truck but all 5 kids did college and did well. My son is a subsistance musician, got a degree,works very hard, but no serious income he could have had if he followed the math/science he was good at. Good thing I'll have enough to leave him that he willn't starve.

My son is a subsistance musician, got a degree,works very hard, but no serious income he could have had if he followed the math/science he was good at. Good thing I'll have enough to leave him that he willn't starve.

Same here. DS is likely to deplete whatever "fortune" I leave him.

Nope. Not at all.

Not a peep in there about the taxes imposed on the (very) large estates. (At that point, frequently a whole new level of professional assistance/family monitoring comes in.)

I haven't seen anyone here complaining that the proceeds from their own inheritances were a curse. Sure, they have said they can help fund educations, take more trips, retire a little earlier or feel more secure.

I don't buy that the children of the rich are automatically unable to handle finances. That varies from person to person; and may be influenced to a certain extent by experience, education, and how they were raised. The rich "kids" that misbehave and run through their money are the ones that get the publicity.

In my own family, I have seen relatives take the seed money or opportunities and go with it: or not. But the nots just ended up living standard middle-class lives. One did so well, he is in the stratosphere of which will require professional management of trusts for beneficiaries.

I imagine that we will get a sizeable amount from my parents as inheritance (just my brother, and I, and he is a diehard minimalist) depending on how long my parents live. They both have elderly care insurance, and are doing really well at 78 years old. I can't see my brother wanting anything from the estate except for a settlement, I would like some of the garage items that my Dad still uses, but don't want the house.

My inlaws are doing well also at 82 & 75. He likes to spend money, and she counts every penny twice. (this inheritance would be shared between my wife, and her brother (who is a retail therapy victim, but has always more money than we have together). Again, I only want a few garage items, and we don't want the house.

I plan on sharing any wealth that we get with my kids who are still starting out life 25 & 20, and any future grandchildren to make their lives easier. We don't need much, and have planned for our own future retirement, and have no debt.

My FIL has finally started to think about downsizing, and is attempting to sell their camper, bobcat, and utility trailer, but gave me prices that were about 90% of new retail, and expects me to either buy, or help him sell with a rigid high price.

Last edited:
Neither of us have ever been left anything, and have no family money to speak of, so it's basically make your own way. After my parents, and inlaws whittle their good fortunes down to nothing, and die in their mid 90s, there will be nothing to split, as it has happened in previous generations...not poor, just nothing left unless their death is untimely.

I agree that the referenced articles were light on specifics. But is has been very interesting to see what the different attitudes and ideas on inheritance people on this board have.

After reading some of these I see that it's a family by family person by person case and decision. For all individual planning, there is always the chance that our kids inheritances will be squandered within a few generations or less depending on the amount inherited.

For myself, I inherited nothing from either side of the family but there will be money and assets left after DW and I are gone. My family has been fairly poor but always a good work ethic and I am likely my richest relative. I would like to think that my kids will find a way to do better than I have, and any money they get after we pass will be stewarded well.

I do think that perhaps this board is not indicative of the average person who inherits money. That is probably why (as someone else pointed out) that no one here complaining that their inheritance was a curse. But I wonder if that is the case for the community outside of this board?

This board is amazingly educated in the process of financial management, and most of us strive to learn more to better serve ourselves, and our families. This not the case for most of the general public who seem to have events like retirement, and inheritance surprise themselves, and be unprepared to handle the details. These are the some of the same people who helplessly flounder along working paycheck, to paycheck with no plans, or dreams being realized.

Children will learn from their parents, but not always apply what they learn, so being a good steward of your money will reflect positively on your children, and their attitudes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom