Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As reported in another thread, I found out that while the median income is higher in the US than in Italy, the Italian household wealth is higher than that in the US. Some suggested that it was due to American propensity to spend. Duh! If you do not save, you are not going to accumulate wealth.

Then, I thought of another possible reason. The US has a young and growing population and with influx of immigrants, most come empty-handed. Old-world countries may have an older and shrinking population. The inheritance of family estates will cause the latter to have more wealth. However, lack of business opportunities means that there will be a lot fewer super-rich people there than in the US.

So, a flatter wealth distribution may not mean much if young people have problems finding work, or have low incomes. And the cause may have a lot to do with demographics.

Just a thought...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

This also reminds me that I have been wondering how to figure our "real" assets (the amount of $$ we could lay our hands on if we sold investments), given state and Federal taxes.

Our pensions are fully taxed. Most of our investable assets are in taxable accounts, or tax-deferred accounts where proceeds will be taxed on withdrawal. In other words, we don't possess as much money as the account statements indicate.

But what would be the reduction factor? It doesn't seem to make sense to use effective tax rates, unless one needed to liquidate everything in the same year.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

98% - but I don't feel that way
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
98% - but I don't feel that way
+1
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
The next menu says it all:

How would you tax wealth, it asks. Maximum threshold below which no tax is due is $1M .. I want it to be at $3M, and include pension benefits, SS benefits and real estate in the calculation. Yes my friends, that is also wealth, especially when it's COLA'd.

I am all for fairness and redistributing above a certain level, but not willing to give up my own money because others were wasteful and unable to balance a checkbook while I was living quite frugal.

I don't see any fairness in taking from those who have worked hard and risked their time, talents, and treasures to give to those who have chosen other paths. I am all for providing a safety net to those who are in need; but, my accumulated wealth has already been taxed as income (or will be) . So called "wealth taxes" are really a tax on saving.

JMHO
robertf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
As reported in another thread, I found out that while the median income is higher in the US than in Italy, the Italian household wealth is higher than that in the US. Some suggested that it was due to American propensity to spend. Duh! If you do not save, you are not going to accumulate wealth.

Then, I thought of another possible reason. The US has a young and growing population and with influx of immigrants, most come empty-handed. Old-world countries may have an older and shrinking population. The inheritance of family estates will cause the latter to have more wealth. However, lack of business opportunities means that there will be a lot fewer super-rich people there than in the US.

So, a flatter wealth distribution may not mean much if young people have problems finding work, or have low incomes. And the cause may have a lot to do with demographics.

Just a thought...
+1
It is nice to look at to make us feel better. But I don't think it means much if age is not included. I started out with near zero assets, as are my kids, and I suspect many/most of those here. To average a 60 year old with a 20 year old doesn't make any sense at all to me. Wow, I got more money than I did when I was 20, yea, but I got less years.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics", Mark Twain warned us.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf57 View Post
I don't see any fairness in taking from those who have worked hard and risked their time, talents, and treasures to give to those who have chosen other paths. I am all for providing a safety net to those who are in need; but, my accumulated wealth has already been taxed as income (or will be). So called "wealth taxes" are really a tax on saving.
For the most part I think 'wealth taxes' will be politically difficult to bring about, which as a soon-to-be ER I hope is true. Another method of extracting revenue from those who have accumulated savings I fear is increasing sales taxes, or shifting the tax burden towards consumption and away from income. Selling it as reducing taxes on income might be well received by a majority in their working years, but creeping up taxes on consumption could be a double whammy on the ER uber-savers.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

94. Single, and a long way from being FIRE'd. Being in the top 6% sure sounds good but in reality it means very little beyond an internal "hey, I guess I'm not doing so bad". Considering where I am financially it just makes me worry about the future of the majority of folks because I really can't see myself as being better off than almost 95% of the country. It just doesn't compute.
Skyward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:12 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

87% with 2 kids in college counted. 93rd not counting the kids.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:36 AM   #51
gone traveling

98% for family of 2.
6 more year to work
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:39 AM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
The next menu says it all:

How would you tax wealth, it asks. Maximum threshold below which no tax is due is $1M .. I want it to be at $3M, and include pension benefits, SS benefits and real estate in the calculation. Yes my friends, that is also wealth, especially when it's COLA'd.

I am all for fairness and redistributing above a certain level, but not willing to give up my own money because others were wasteful and unable to balance a checkbook while I was living quite frugal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf57 View Post
I don't see any fairness in taking from those who have worked hard and risked their time, talents, and treasures to give to those who have chosen other paths. I am all for providing a safety net to those who are in need; but, my accumulated wealth has already been taxed as income (or will be) . So called "wealth taxes" are really a tax on saving.

JMHO
+1

I think you're conflating redistribution with fairness. They are very different things.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post

I think you're conflating redistribution with fairness. They are very different things.
But that's the problem, no? At least if you are on the 'from' side of redistribution.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:58 AM   #54

96%+ on the wealthmeter, only a little above average in income. I guess that's typical for a lifelong plodder.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

My wealthometer went to 100% when 2nd child was born. xx + yy = 100%.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #56

98% with one person and no pension. I would consider myself comfortably Middle Class.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

This wealthometer doesn't work for me. I get no results, just a lot of blanks. Oh well. BFD
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

98% (no pensions). Not bad for a couple of 40 year olds. But as DW puts it "really".
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
But that's the problem, no? At least if you are on the 'from' side of redistribution.

-ERD50
Yup.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:21 AM   #60
Dryer sheet wannabe

Two person household in their mid-30's... Guessed at 99%, came in a 98%. I was close!
23Red is offline   Reply With Quote